Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2009 16:00

Installing Windows XP (Reformatting)

So i got a terrible virus i got rid of it but now my computer is running maybe 1/3 of the speed it used to takes 2-3 mins to open firefox.

Anyway i then found out my computers cd rom died. Today i went out a bought a new SATA DVD Rom just to install windows. Get home swap out the cd roms and everything looks to be great it's picking up the windows cd i boot from disk get through the blue screen. to Starting Windows Instalation and then blue screen of death i don't know what to do from here.

I will try other ways of reformatting but i don't really know what to do from here.

I tried letting windows load and installing from windows it went through until it asked me to restart now when i click windows setup the screen looks like it about to load but it just stays black. Doesn't move from there.

7 Posts

January 18th, 2009 16:00

Also if it helps this is the error code on the blue screen that pops up. I am going to google it myself but maybe it will help.

0X000007B (0xf898f524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

2.6K Posts

January 18th, 2009 17:00

The PC model would help.   But the 7B error is common if your PC has an SATA drive controller with RAID or AHCI capability AND the XP disk you have doesn't have the necessary drivers for it.   Basically XP can't recognize your hard drive, hence 7B - inaccessible boot device.

It's possible to load the drivers at the F6 prompt if you have a floppy drive, but the easiest solution is to change the SATA operation mode in the BIOS - depending on the model, it may be set to RAID or AHCI.  Try changing it to Autodetect/ATA.

7 Posts

January 18th, 2009 20:00

i have a Dimension E520 if that makes it any easier for you

7 Posts

January 18th, 2009 22:00

you said "Try changing it to Autodetect/ATA." I did that and it worked sort of.

I can get back the "loading Windows Install" it load it all then it says computer has to be restarted like it alwasy does when installing windows i restart let it go past the "Press any key to boot from cd" but it just stays on a black screen from there.

Any Suggestions?

2.6K Posts

January 19th, 2009 10:00

1) From "restarted like it always does" it sounds like you've done this before.  Was it with the same disk on the same PC? If so it's odd that you'd have trouble now with the SATA driver.

2) Possibilities that come to mind re the blank screen:

-Take the CD out of the drive, then try rebooting again to see if the CD is causing the hang.  Also double-check that the boot order is correct.

-There's a problem with the video output.  See if you can boot into either safe mode or VGA mode.

-There's a problem with the reinstall (bad or multiple boot records, missing files, etc.) or with the hard drive itself. 

7 Posts

January 19th, 2009 12:00

tried all of those but i did fix the issue i switched the harddrive back to the way it was to begin with. Computer booted up and boom went straight into the setup donno if i was suppose to do that in the begging maybe i misread or understood but everything is working great now just dropping by to grab the drivers for my sound, video, and network card. So thanks a lot you have helped me so much i wouldn't have gotten anywhere without your help.

Great Appericated if there is anything i can do in return to help you let me know thanks.

2.6K Posts

January 19th, 2009 13:00

You're welcome.  And thanks for posting back on how you got it going again.  :emotion-1: .

No Events found!