Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 27th, 2009 00:00

Installing Windows XP on Dell Studio S1555-018B

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hello All,

Recently I brought Dell Studio S1555-018B  laptop. This is preloaded with Windows Vista Home SP1.

I wanted to install Windows XP Professional, when I tried to install its not allowing me to do so, the installation will stop in between with error message asks to restart the

Can someone help me how to install XP on my laptop.

Thanks in advance

Nitya

1.3K Posts

July 27th, 2009 02:00

Nitya,

Dell does not provide drivers for your computer running in Windows XP Pro. This is a link to Dell computers, and supported OS. You may want to consider returning this laptop, if you are within the 21 day policy.

7 Posts

July 30th, 2009 08:00

Hello,

I have recently purchased the same laptop. Vista didn't serve my purpose cos I wanted to install Visual studio 2005 on it but I ran into some compatibility issues with vista so I decided to setup dual bootable system. Most likely the problem you are facing while installing XP is it will crash as it canot find drivers for your SATA hard disk so you would have to slipstream the SATA drivers into the XP bootable disk and install it. Luckily Dell has released XP drivers for this laptop you can find them in the suppport section->drivers and downloads. There are a lot of blogs that will give you an idea how to slipstream the drivers into XP disk or you can even find video tutorials on youtube. You could try searching for 'slipstreaming SATA drivers in XP' in youtube. This one was particularly helpful. http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

There would be on problem you would face though, your dell recovery wont work once you create another partition. It doesn't really matter now as it sounds like you have already created another partition for XP. Your recovery partition might have already been corrupted cos mine has:emotion-2:.

Good Luck

Praneeth

No Events found!