Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2007 19:00

Loading DRMK Version 8.00 error

I hope someone can help,
I ran the Dell PC Restore by Symantec program on my Inspiron B130 and the screen says:
Loading PBR for descriptor 1...done.
Loading DRMK Version 8.00...

and there it sits, doing nothing. I have tried it a couple more times and it always hangs on the same spot.

Anyone have any experience with this?

3 Posts

October 28th, 2009 10:00

mombodog, I am trying to click on the link given above but it just takes me to this page: http://en.community.dell.com/ and I am unable to read the post/information in regards to this error.  Any ideas why?

6.4K Posts

October 28th, 2009 12:00

You need to read through the entire thread.  I explained some months ago that the present Dell Community migrated to a new host at the end of October, 2008.  When that happened, all the urls to the various threads were changed to a new numbering system which is not cross referenced to the original URL.  The link I gave to Mr. Goodell's page still works, and reading that will give you the info on the PC Restore partition used with Windows XP.

If you have a specific question I suggest you start a new thread of your own so you will have the benefit of the entire forum's expertise.

EDIT:  Correction made to date of migration.

3 Posts

October 18th, 2011 12:00

press ctrl+alt+delete  when the dell logo appears press ctrl and f-11 the same as restoring but instead of restoring press on reboot and your bypass thedrmk massage.

6.4K Posts

October 18th, 2011 13:00

efrain787;

Welcome to the Dell Software and Operating Systems forum.  I hope you will find participation as rewarding as I have.

You might notice from the dates in the thread to which you have made comments that this thread was begun nearly three years ago.  I'm sure that the problem has been resolved by this time, and it is a very rare thread that contains issues that would be relevant after all this time.  If you take the time to read Mr. Goodell's detailed dissertation, a link to which is provided in the thread, you will also see that you cannot simply bypass the DRMK message.

Best wishes to you, and the best of luck.

Jack

3 Posts

November 1st, 2011 20:00

thank you very much.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2011 12:00

I can't thank you enough. I have been trying to solve this problem for two days now, and if this didn't work was ready to toss my laptop. It did work!!!! So the problem hadn't been resolved for everyone, and as long as someone is using XP it will probably keep popping up. I could hug you!

73 Posts

January 18th, 2012 00:00

Hi

I had the same problem...here's how to fix it:

Your restore process was successful but somehow after reboot the boot sector was mixed up and now it tries to load from the restore partition again.

You'll need a bootable USB stick and a file named "ptedit" to change the boot order.

Make a USB stick bootable (google on how to do it),

Download and unzip the ptedit file  (get it here  ftp.symantec.com/.../ptedit.zip ),

Copy it to the USB drive,

restart PC pressing the F12 key (with the USB drive installed),

from the menu select USB device,

type: ptedit  and hit enter,

Use the tab key to move around,

first you have to change the drive from drive 1 (USB) to drive 2 (use arrow key),

now go to line 1 and change the number 80 under boot to 00,

next go to line 2 and change the number 00 under boot to 80 (this makes the C drive the bootable drive),

safe changes and enter,

when asked are you sure? choose YES! enter and restart...

That's it! Computer will start windows setup.

This was done on my Dell inspirion with windows XP media center

1 Message

July 2nd, 2013 03:00

I've got the DRMK Version 8.00 continuous error, non-stiop. I wasted an hour on those two links above by the supposed expert Dan Goodell.

There's not one word even close to referring to this peoblem. Complete waste of time!

6.4K Posts

July 2nd, 2013 16:00

True, if you are looking for a detailed troubleshooting guide, you will not find it in Mr. Goodell's treatise.  His document simply details the way the old Windows XP PC Restore worked and gives some suggestions on repairing the special Master Boot Record used to activate the feature.

Your basic problem, as was stated in earlier posts on this thread, is that the PC Restore application resets the bootable partition to be the first partition and directs that the operating system for the "sealing" program be started.  The mini-OS that is required is DRMK, and for some reason the code for this OS sometimes becomes corrupt over the time that the computer is being used.  The solution is to use a partition editor to mark the correct partition for booting.  This information is contained in Mr. Goodell's document, and a step by step procedure is given in the post just ahead of yours.

The PC Restore feature is quite useful and quick when it operates properly, but is obviously a great problem when it does not.  Many PC owners have found it more expedient to simply use the Windows XP installation CD that used to ship with the computer to zero out the hard drive and start with a fresh installation of Windows XP.

July 21st, 2013 19:00

my screen is totally black no images but on top left side it is says: loading DRMK Version 8.00...

i need help please if anyone can assist me. :emotion-6:

No Events found!