Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

October 31st, 2003 10:00

MSN Explorer Login problems

I am having problems logging on to MSN explorer.  When I try to login, I receive a message that says "We were not able to log you in.  There may be a problem with our service or your internet connection."  However, I am able to access the internet through IE. 

As well, I am unable to sign in to MSN messanger or Hotmail.  When I try to sign in to messanger, I receive this message: "Sorry, we could not sign you in because the sign-in name you entered doesn't exist or your pass word is incorrect. 0x81000303."  However, I have determined that neither of these is the case.  I am able to sign in to my Hotmail account on other computers. 

Any help that anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

933 Posts

October 31st, 2003 19:00

Which version of MSN Explorer are you using?  Help & Settings and About MSN should give you the version number.

Windows Xp Professional
5.1.2600 Service Pack Build 2600
Dimension 4550 X-86 based PC
Bios A03, 11/12/2002
Pentium 4 2.0Ghz
256MB RAM
IE 6.0

October 31st, 2003 21:00

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately I am quite computer-illiterate.  I could not find out what version of MSN explorer I have, but the version of MSN messanger is 6.1 (6.1.0155). 

270 Posts

October 31st, 2003 21:00

Do you use RoadRunner or Brighthouse for your internet provider ?

October 31st, 2003 23:00

Thanks for your reply also.  No, I do not use Roadrunner or Brighthouse.  Instead we have Execulink.  My computer is part of a network.  And of 4 computers, mine is the only one with this problem. 

November 1st, 2003 13:00

I have just determined that I am not able to access certain sites that require a secure connection.  I am wondering if this might be part of the problem.

8 Posts

November 1st, 2003 14:00

That's an indication that you need to discuss this with your network administrator. If there is a firewall installed on the network that could be the issue do to filtering also your permissions may not allow you to open secure sites.

November 1st, 2003 15:00

Thanks for the tip.  However, my 'network' consists of 4 computers within my home.  I suppose that means that I am the network administrator.  I am of no help.  We do not have a firewall, so I guess we're still searching for answers.

Message Edited by bluetomatoes on 11-01-2003 11:09 AM

1 Message

November 1st, 2003 17:00

I too am having great problems with MSN internet Explorer. I have an Inspiron 5100 that came with MSNEX.  I want to upgrade to MSN 8 and cannot.  I have been through the help line with MSN and they stated to turn off the MSN explorer and that should help.  Well I did that and it still did not work.  I am at my wits end because my whole reason to buying this laptop was to take work away from work..and I use MSN 8.  I can't dial up when using MSN either.  I get an error code.  Does anyone have any clue????.  Dell has been no help either, I got pushed to the side.

November 1st, 2003 19:00

Hopefully we have the same problem, so we can get this figured out together!  Just a quick question: can you get on to the internet using a different browser, like Internet Explorer?  and if so, are you able to access secure sites?

November 21st, 2003 17:00

I have the same or at least a very similar problem.

Prior to this, we had this problem with one of four email accounts on this same PC.

I can access the internet, yet cannot reach my email accounts.....

Have either of you found solutions?

November 21st, 2003 20:00

Hi!

I have not as yet found a solution, but I realized that my problem is actually accessing any webpage that requires a secure connection.  Is this related to "cookies" or "certificates"?  (I've been hunting around 'help' and have encountered this lingo.)  Hope this provides some more info for the genius out there that can help us out.  Thanks again to all of you who have replied to this thread.

November 22nd, 2003 02:00

I called this number 1-877-dellnet, did what Christina told me (she was awesome) and it worked.

This is what we did.

clicked on start

clicked on run

entered regsvr32 softpub.dll   (that is a "space" not an underscore)

I got a window confirming the change and closed it by clicking ok.

What this did was allow access to secure websites inside the MSN Dellnet Explorer software.

Try it, you'll like it......Hey, Mikey. He likes it.

November 22nd, 2003 09:00

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!  if you could only see my tears of joy!  I hope that others will be able to fix similar problems by following your advice!
No Events found!