Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

October 21st, 2006 20:00

Mcafee Upgrade

I have Mcafee VirusScan Build 10.0.27/English Ver.5100/DATVer.4878.  I had a Mcafee "popup" show up a few days ago when I fired up my computer saying Version11 is available for downloading.  I did not wish to do the upgrade at the time the popup came up so I closed the box down.  Now I'm wanting to download the upgrade and I'm unable to locate, on Mcafee's site, where I can get the Version 11 upgrade.  I've also been in Mcafee's chatroom and their answer was for me to contact Dell as "they" have Mcafee techs to answer my question.  I'm thinking that it's a Mcafee program and they should not have directed me to you folks, but they did!  Can you tell me how I can get the latest version?

143 Posts

October 21st, 2006 22:00

A little off topic, because no, I don't know where to get Version 11 - I still have 10.0.27 and it hasn't prompted me to do anything, but I am in the process of discussing a Spamkiller issue with McAfee.  I sent them a follow-up email containing some additional information, which they are now treating as an isolated case.  This makes no sense, as I have pointed out to them.

What REALLY stunned me was the wording in the email: "... I would be happy to support you in resolving this issue." Who designs their email templates for goodness sake?  I really don't want to bother reading if he is happy or unhappy about supporting me - as far as I am concerned he is paid to do so.  If he is unhappy about it, then perhaps he needs to seek a new position! :smileyvery-happy:

I notice there is so much template guff in the emails of these support departments.  I really don't need to wade through a barrage of superfluous text to get to the meat of the matter!

OK - that's my vent for the day. :smileyvery-happy:

53 Posts

October 21st, 2006 23:00

Hey................go ahead & vent!!  While in Mcafee's chat room the answers to my questions were all evasive.  I thought it was a simple question!  I'm just going to keep the version I have................at least until my subscription expires.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 25th, 2006 00:00

VirusScan Plus 2007 is called VirusScan 11 on the technical-support side of McAfee's site.
http://review.zdnet.com/McAfee_VirusScan_Plus_2007/4505-3667_16-31995275.html

Sounds like you got an advert from Mcafee trying to sell you their latest and perhaps not so greatest. ;)

And you may want to read this thread. It's rather long and there are some points made but I have no opinion on the comments, good, bad, ugly:
http://help.lockergnome.com/security/WARNING-VirusScan-11-Startup-ICONS-McAfee-ftopict9125.html

Ron

1 Message

October 27th, 2006 10:00

Slightly offline but is it worth sticking with MacAfee? I bought my new Dell three months ago and it came with 15 months free subscription to MacAfee (this is UK version btw) and I am wishing my 15 months were up.

The constant insistence to go online to verify subscription status delays each boot up and couples with a propensity for at least one part of the service to disable itself during the process - always an interesting surprise to see which one it will be! There is no pattern to discern a bug.

But the true horror is the 'spam killer' which causes Outlook to freeze each time it is started then selects and hides incoming email at random. It also loves to secretly choose outgoing mail it will block as spam too according to some logic unknowable to man or beast.

I have a three year old laptop with a current subscrition to the Norton suite (2004) version which causes no such problems.

The question is, will deleting MacAfee and installing Norton cause more problems than it solves? As well as being expensive I have had experience before of software that leaves all manner of junk behind and considering the nagwear that MacAfee keeps popping up I worry that a simple uninstall will leave a legacy of bits and pieces that will impair the Norton software. Does anyone have experience of removing MacAfee and replacing it?

143 Posts

October 27th, 2006 11:00

I don't want to frighten you, but that was the problem I was having - however it turned out to be only one of a host of glitchy, itchy problems.  I reinstalled my OS last night and so far all my problems have been resolved.  Let's hope it stays that way!

As much as I can't bear the thought I actually contracted some malware in the brief time between plugging in my computer and getting the updates downloaded and installed, the evidence would tend to suggest I may have.

Or something was causing a wider problem.  Are you having any other "minor" problems?

A few examples of my glitches were:

Related Links in Help & Support didn't work and in fact if Notes were on the page, inserted extra icons.
Related Links in IE Help produced and error.
If I interogated the system for computer information from within Help & Support, I got a malicious code warning from McAfee.
Microsoft couldn't validate my OS as genuine.

There were heaps of other similar things.  Even my web cam was affected.

369 Posts

October 28th, 2006 16:00

Google 'Mcafee forums" and you will get accurate comprehensive directions. They have been my 'go to' group for years and i'm very happy with their products.

53 Posts

October 28th, 2006 18:00

I've never had a problem uninstalling Mcafee, BUT I've never replaced it with any other antivirus program either.  I do know the uninstall leaves a few files behind.  I don't recall if I removed those few files per Mcafee's uninstall instructions or if I did a search on Google on how to COMPLETELY remove Mcafee.   I've never had any problems with Mcafee (I have Virus Scan only).  The constant boot up updates are annoying, tho'.

369 Posts

October 28th, 2006 18:00

1- If you have more than one Mcafee product installed, then you have to remove them in order.
2-I recommended Googlng 'Mcafee forums' and register so you could get help when you need it-it is free.
3-Getting those annoying popups is not normal for virus scan unless you are referring to ocasional updates.
4-I would not be concerned about files left behind when you remove Mcafee but if you want to really get purged, go to the Microsoft site and search 'clean up center scan'. Before you run it, back up your registry.
5-Do not install the Mc virus scan over an existing one; always remove the first then install agin folllowed by running the scan.
No Events found!