Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2004 20:00

Microsoft Interactive Training

Checked my DELL reinstallation XP Pro CD for SBSI folder & its not there but a site
http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/MICROSOF/7509594/Installs/7509594si5.shtml
shows how to install Microsoft Interactive Training from Microsoft XP CD SBSI Folder.

Microsoft Interactive Training is on my OEM DELL computer so have Microsoft stopped including it with Microsoft XP CD or  DELL has deliberately not included it with computer on another CD.

My DELL reinstallation XP CD shows  about  540 MB used with a capacity of  549 MB & my
SBSI Folder   C:\WINDOWS\Help\SBSI  of about 96 MB so can't be included on reinstallation XP CD at its present capacity , although my DELL Drivers & Utilities (Resource) shows  577 MB capacity.

New reinstallation XP CD didn't contain all OEM DELL installed programs but thought it contained all the Microsoft XP CD programs.
Help & Support info says Standard CD hold up to 650 MB so DELL should use larger capacity CD's.

Message Edited by gryjhnhpe on 02-04-2004 09:16 AM

2.5K Posts

February 4th, 2004 14:00

Gryjhnhpe,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.
The SBSI is a one time install done at the factory.
It is not included with any of your OEM cds.
Microsoft left it up to the OEM to decide how they would distribute the SBSI software.
If you format your system and loose the program, there is no way to get it back.
For some reason Dell cannot re-supply this program again.
It may have something to do with licensing, but I'm not sure why.
I have checked on this before, when this question came up.
The response I got from my engineering contact was.
"One time install done at the factory, cannot be reinstalled".

225 Posts

February 4th, 2004 15:00

Hi Gary,
 More than a year ago, at the direction of Dell Support, I did a repair/reinstall of Win XP and I lost all of the Dell instructions and help files that were unique to my system. They never told me this would happen same as they also never told me I would lose the SP1 update and all subsequent patches (56 at the time). Fortunately, I did not lose the Micro$oft Interactive Training Modules (for Win XP, and M$ Office) if you could give me direction as to how to copy and transfer these files to you I would be glad to oblige. 

2K Posts

February 4th, 2004 18:00

rjmat wrote:    Hi Gary,      I lost all of the Dell instructions and help files that were unique to my system.

You misunderstood I still have   SBSI & DELL info files , I only found SBSI missing from DELL reinstallation XP CD when checking for another member you required  orun32.ini file.

Strange I have done a Windows Repair (called reinstallation by Microsoft)  & still have the DELL files I think.?
Do you mean you are missing Help & Support for  "Computer Information" or  "DELL online" items.?

2.4K Posts

February 5th, 2004 01:00

Wait, there is a Dell-specific version of SBSI?

FYI, regular Windows XP disks DO NOT have SBSI on them to the best of my knowledge. I'm guessing that maybe Gateway customized their disks?

SBSI is only on the Windows XP/2003 OEM Preinstallation Kit CD's.

Message Edited by Hydralisk00222 on 02-04-2004 10:04 PM

225 Posts

February 5th, 2004 01:00

Gary,
I thought this was a known fact and there are many other people out there with the same problem. Though I suspect the files are still on my harddrive somewhere just the path to them was broken. These are the ones Dell installs on a new computer that had the Owners Manual with full instructions for the I8100, on-line manuals for the Intervideo DVD ROM, Dell TruMobile 1150 instructions, Dell Picture Studio instructions etc.     

2K Posts

February 5th, 2004 06:00

Hydralisk00222 wrote:    FYI, regular Windows XP disks DO NOT have SBSI on them to the best of my knowledge. I'm guessing that maybe Gateway customized their disks?

SBSI is only on the Windows XP/2003 OEM Preinstallation Kit CD's.

If SBSI Folder isn't on the retail Microsoft XP CD then why could site
http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/MICROSOF/7509594/Installs/7509594si5.shtml
have info that says

Microsoft Interactive Training (SBSI) Installation
Insert the blue  Microsoft® Windows® XP Operating System CD into the CD/DVD drive.

In the Run dialog box, type: D:\SBSI\Setup.exe (where D is the drive letter of the CD/DVD drive). Click OK. 

they aren't referring to a Gateway XP CD it is genuine  Microsoft® Windows® XP CD
( ® for registered Trademark)

2.5K Posts

February 5th, 2004 15:00

Rjmat,
If you could give me direction as to how to copy and transfer these files to you I would be glad to oblige.
Unfortunately the SBSI software is about 100MB, so unless you host the files on a web page,
you may have a hard time sending it to people.
Also I think Microsoft may have problem with free distribution of the software, since it has a separate license.

Gryjhnhpe,
Strange I have done a Windows Repair (called reinstallation by Microsoft) & still have the DELL files I think.?
A Windows repair does not delete files, it simply replaced critical Windows files.
Most of the time, it will not affect the actual data on the hard drive.

Hydralisk00222, Gryjhnhpe,
Actually, I don't think that you get the SBSI folder on a retail copy of Windows XP.
I checked the retail copy of XP PRO I have, and did not find it.
I think it comes in it's own separate cd.
The reason the SBSI folder is included in the OEM version Gateway sends out, is because they have added it.
Microsoft lets OEM providers customize their operating system cds to a certain extent.
I also found out that Microsoft charges an extra license fee to include SBSI on your OEM operating system cd.
So, that would be the reason Dell does not include the folder on the OEM XP CD.
Including the SBSI folder would mean an extra fee, which would drive up the cost of the OEM license fee, which would drive up the overall cost of the system.
In the mean time, I'm trying to get a copy of the SBSI cd, or find out how it is packaged
with retail versions of XP.
Then maybe we can provide exact reinstall instructions for anyone that has the SBSI files.
The problem though, is that if Microsoft is charging an extra license fee for this, they probably won't want anyone distributing the files.

191 Posts

March 6th, 2004 22:00

Dell -Karen, I'm like some of the others, I had to do a repair on Windows XP and now,Microsoft Interactive Training will not work. I have the folder for this program in C:\windows\help\SBSI\Training, it takes up 93.6 MB of HDD space, but when I try to run it I get a pop up about the registry. I find it a little more than silly that I had and still have the program legally installed on this computer and no one can tell me how to get it to work. All the other Dell installed software was also still on HDD after XP repair. However, there was back-up software to reinstall and make them work. Doogie

2K Posts

March 6th, 2004 22:00

If your registry POPUP requires   ORUN32.INI  I can send it to you as E-mail attachment as only about 1KB & another member found when he added to  C:\WINDOWS   M.I.Training then worked.

191 Posts

March 7th, 2004 18:00

gryjhnhpe, Thanks for the offer, but I have these files on another computer (Dell 2350). My lack of knowledge is why I can't get this to run on Dell 8250. I did copy these two things from 2350, orun32, and orun32 ISU, installed on 8250 in C:\windows folder. This stopped me from getting orun missing message, but now when I double click orun32 interactive runtime engine, in SBSI\training folder, this is wording on pop up (ERROR READING REGISTERY , SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\MICROSOFT INTERACTIVE TRAINING) I guess I need to copy something from 2350 registery to put on 8250, but my lack of computer knowledge prevents me from doing this. Can this be done, and if so how. I have a pretty good understanding of copying to floppy and CD, also know how to access registery. For example, would I go into registry on 2350, right click on a particular file and click send to floppy or CD, If this is correct, how do I copy to correct section of registery on 8250? Thanks again for your offer to help me. Doogie

2K Posts

March 7th, 2004 20:00

I assume other Computer is also running XP OS.?
Open  regedit & click on "My Computer" at top (to search from TOP)  then click on "Edit" button > "Find ....> & type     training     & only check box "Look at" > "Keys" then click "Find Next"
It will find a M. I. Training keys but don't think it is used so press F3 to continue "Find Next"
The next M. I. Training HKEY found will have associated values so right click on HKEY & select "Export" , name file say MIT & Save in say Desktop.
Then right click on MIT.reg file on Desktop & select "Send To > "Floppy"

On new Computer copy file from Floppy to say Desktop then double click on MIT.reg file on Desktop & the HKEY contents will be auto added to registry.
( if double click on MIT.reg file only opens Notepad , right click on file & select "Merge")

No Events found!