Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 27th, 2012 05:00

Missing Device Manager

The initial problem is that I have no audio; I’ve tried to load SoundMax 5.12.1.5246 but each time it failed.

I went to control panel / system folder / hardware tab / then click on Device Manager. When I try to open the Device Manager, I get the message “Microsoft Management Console has encountered a problem and needs to close”. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can reload the Device Manager.

The other problem I have is that the “Help and Support” feature does work, I get a message that Windows cannot find helpctr.exe.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

R Boyer

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 27th, 2012 06:00

What Model PC?  I assume the OS is Windows XP??  We can't give you specific assistance without this.  We can only give general advice/suggestions.

The first problem appears to be a corrupted Windows XP.  You have two possible options (depending on the PC model).  Reinstall using the Dell recovery partiton (if you have that) by CTRL/F11 at power on, or use the Windows XP disc and do a "Repair" (boot from the Windows XP disc but select Repair instead of install/reinstall).  If you have the Dell Recovery Partition the only problem with running Repair is that it will probably corrupt the Dell Recovery and you will be unable to ever use it.  Something to consider.  

On the other hand, if you have the Dell recovery and use it, it will restore the PC to the original factory condition (backup any user data to so some external media as all will be deleted).

On the sound driver issue, If you did do a reinstall with Discs, the motherboard chipset drivers MUST be installed BEFORE installing sound drivers.  

No Events found!