Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2003 12:00

Missing or Corrupt File: System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys

The computer I am having a problem with is a Dimension XPS-B 8001 with a Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

On startup after the blue Dell logo it stops at a black screen with white letters with this error message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:  System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys.  You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.  Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I have tried the disk that came with the computer called "Resource CD"  which has the Drivers on it, but there was none called "Setup CD-ROM.  I have also used F8 function to go into Safe Mode and choose options there.  Everything I try comes back to the same error screen.

Any help will be much appreciated.  Thanks, Sharon

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

That file is probably on the Windows XP CD.  Run a "Repair" on Windows XP and see if that fixes it.  You will have to boot with the Windows XP CD so you may have to temporarily set the CD drive as this first boot drive in the BIOS, so you can boot from the Windows XP CD.

1.1K Posts

This could be a corrupted file or a Ram problem. The memory diagnostics are on the Dell resource CD or you can get a floppy version fron Dell downloads. If your Ram checks out OK, you can find directions to repair the file Here:

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBK/tip5400/rh5410.htm

17 Posts

December 18th, 2003 14:00

Thanks to both of you.

I set the CD-ROM to be the first start up, inserted the XP CD, and everything looked like it was doing a restore, then it stopped and asked the administrator password.  I have never set one.  Is there a way to get around this?

4.4K Posts

December 18th, 2003 18:00

As it probably was never set, leave blank, click OK.

17 Posts

December 18th, 2003 19:00

I left blank, hit enter and it just asked for it again.  I tried 6 and 8 0's and that didn't work either. 

All suggestions are sure welcome!

1 Message

July 20th, 2004 21:00

instead of getting this message "1 file(s) expanded." i get "access is denied" is there anything else i can try before just reinstalling XP?

2 Posts

February 1st, 2005 10:00

I do not know what is meant by the following in JSI tip 5410:

1. select the installation you wish to access

2. enter the administrator password

As a previous poster said, I get an "access is denied" message

Your help wopuld be appreciated. As I try to work with the Dell Support they do not seem to be responding to my direct questions.

bboyd1956

No Events found!