Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2009 01:00

NO System Restore--can't log in as Administrator--what to do?

Hi Folks--

Got a Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop-Windows Vista 64 bit--have noticed in trying to change a program setting, that I can't log on as Administartor (I'm the only person who uses the computer)--tried system restore got the following message "there was an unexpected error  (0x80040154) -Please close sysrtem restore & try again"--which i have done --to no avail.  I can't even Re-install windows--as it needs me to sign in (log on) as Administrator--what can i do to resolve these issues?

Thanks In Advance

Neil

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 20th, 2009 12:00

Can you boot from the Vista DVD and run a Vista Repair? If it asks for an Admin password, just press Enter and see what happens.

If you reinstall WIndows, you'll lose everything on the hard drive so that's a last resort, especially if your files aren't backed up on external media. Besides, it's easier and faster to run Dell's Image Restore <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>which resets the hard drive to exactly the way they shipped it. Everything you installed, including all Microsoft updates, will be lost and must be reinstalled after running Image Restore.

Ron

No Events found!