Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

January 7th, 2009 17:00

Need help with Admin log in

I've had this PC for several years bought it new from Dell.  I never set an Admin password.  I did however set up a user account for myself and made myself an administrator with a password.  All fine works great.

Under user accounts in the control panel it shows only two accounts, mine and the guest account, which is off.

When I turn on my PC each day It asks me to log in and only shows my account.  Seems good so far...

Until I try to boot up in Safe Mode with networking.  I'm given the choice of logging in as Admin or as myself.  Admin asks for a password, which to the best of my knowledge, I never set.

Anyone out there who can help me out tiwht this one?  Suggestions?  Am I missing something?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 8th, 2009 00:00

fordag,

Some earlier versions of Windows had a hidden administrator account, in case you had problems. Vista removed this feature. The hidden administrator account then password is blank(type nothing at all and hit enter), unless you changed this. I went into the childrens laptops and password protected this so I can get login in the event of problems.

Is this what you wanted to know?

Rick

1.7K Posts

January 8th, 2009 11:00

In XP Home (and Vista Home, I believe) the Administrator account only shows up in the list if you are starting the computer in Safe Mode  or Safe Mode With Networking.  What you describe is the normal behavior for XP Home.

The password for the Admin account is going to be blank (e.g., click in the password field and press ENTER), unless the password has been changed since you received the computer.  Dell does not set that password, and by default neither does Windows.

7 Posts

January 8th, 2009 13:00

Dear fordag

You might go ahead and just hit the enter key or click the "OK" button whichever applies to continue on. If there is no password then microsoft sometimes acts as though the "blank" answer is "the password". Good Luck  RJP7

1 Message

January 9th, 2009 21:00

I have the same problem, except I have a brand new (3 weeks old) 730x with vista 64 home premium. I am the only one who uses this computer.  I have no idea how it happened, I was just checking the user account section and I may have checked a box to make me administrator, not sure what I did. But I know for sure if it asked me for a password I would have remembered. Now any time I go to do anything to change settings or uninstall or even install some programs a box pops up saying windows needs my permission to continue. The computer needs an administrator password, which I have no idea what it may be, I tried every password I have ever used and some I never used, still no luck. Another strange thing is directly above the password box it says "RA Media Server" almost like its a company or someone else is the administrator, very odd. It looks like very normal windows operation, I mean it doesn't seem like any kind of virus, all my scans show nothing. any help would be appreciated. I do have the Dell on Call on my order, but I know they will just have me wipe my hard drive clean and start from scratch, I really don't want to do that.

Gasman Mike

No Events found!