Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 7th, 2015 04:00

Need installation CD for Inspiron 1721

I have an Inspiron 1721. The OS needs be reinstalled in this laptop.

The product cd key of Windows Vista home premium OEM is at the back of laptop, I just need CD or download link.

Please help

Thanks

511 Posts

February 7th, 2015 08:00

Since you have no recovery discs or operating system reinstallation discs with your computer, you will need to contact Dell and purchase recovery media. That costs around $15 usually.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

February 8th, 2015 02:00

Probably it will cost more than its worth. Microsoft have retired the Digital River links for Windows Vista installation media.

Microsoft have no IE10/11, Office 2013 support or installation media download links for Windows Vista essentially putting it at end of life (meant to be 2 years in the future).

As this system is well outwith the warranty period and its not worthwhile trying to purchase international warranty just to get a Dell Windows Vista Reinstallation DVD (which Dell may not stock anymore) it'd be better for you to use the Windows 10 Technical Preview and evaluate it until its fully released; at which point you can take advantage of any promotional deals:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preview-iso

3 Posts

February 7th, 2015 18:00

The laptop is registered in USA according to the service tag No. However, The laptop it self is in Australia. I am wondering if dell would send recovery disc overseas?

3 Posts

February 8th, 2015 23:00

Thank you for the useful advice.

No Events found!