Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2017 07:00

No Boot Device Found

My desktop computer is experiencing some kind of boot up issue. I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 with Windows 10 that I just bought in March.

I'm not a tech savvy person at all, and I have no idea how to fix this issue.

My computer was working perfectly normal beforehand, and I was about to update and shut down my PC while I left the house for a bit. I came back home about 3 hours later and I saw my computer was stuck on 3% updating. This is where I'm sure I messed up because I know you're not supposed to force shut down a computer while it's updating because it can cause data loss. But foolishly I did it anyways because it just seemed really strange that it was stuck while updating, because it had never done that before.

I tried turning my computer back on but was met with the Dell Support Assist screen telling me "No Boot Device Found"... No matter how many times I tried restarting, it was that same screen showing up. I tried looking around to fix the issue myself and I read that I should run diagnostics to check if everything is working correctly. I ran diagnostics 2 times (I waited a couple hours) and it said "All tests passed" every time.

At this point I have no idea what to do. After looking around, I've been given the options of reinstalling Windows... but I don't have a Windows installation CD and I don't have another computer to download an installer to a USB. Im not sure what to do anymore... is my hard drive dead? Do I have to replace my computer?

• 

16.7K Posts

May 31st, 2017 09:00

nightflanger,

Start the computer and tap the F8 key while booting. Once in the advanced options are on the screen choose Safe Mode. If your computer boots into safe mode you can follow the steps below to see if they will resolve the issue.

How to Roll Back or Uninstall a Problematic Windows Update

May 31st, 2017 10:00

Thanks for the answer Jesse, but pressing the F8 key did nothing when I was booting up. The only buttons that seem to do anything are F2 and F12.

• 

16.7K Posts

June 2nd, 2017 06:00

NIGHTFLANGER,

Try tapping the F8 key numerous times as soon as you start the computer. If the F2 and the F12 works then the F8 will work as well.

No Events found!