Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2013 14:00

No OS or re-installation disk

I bought a new Inspiron 660 which arrived earlier this week. All was well and good until a well meaning friend suggested that I'd have less compatibility issues with older games if I downgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 7.

And so he bought Windows 7 32 bit and tried installing it today. It was incompatible with my hardware so he decided to format my hard drive.

As such, I now have one less friend and no operating system installed on the computer I've had for less than a week - and of course no re-installation disk for Windows 8. Bummer.

I guess what I'm asking is: Is there a way to acquire a physical copy of Win 8 without spending more money, or another way around this?

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

August 16th, 2013 14:00

Hi casara,

Dell does not ship re-installation media along with the system as the comes equipped with a restore partition which users can use to reset the system back to factory settings. Also, the system comes with Dell Backup and Recovery Manager software that you can use to create recovery media for use in such situations.

Since you have not created the recovery media and also the hard drive has been partitioned, the factory image is not there any longer. Please share the system's Service Tag and Owner's Name with me via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation). I'll review the details and check what best can be done for you.

Please reply with the information.

No Events found!