Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

February 7th, 2018 06:00

No factory image restore button

Hello all. I want to do a factory image restore on a vostro 230 with Windows 7 and have followed the instructions given by several helpful community members in the past. The problem is that after booting in F8, going to repair my computer and then entering a language and user, the list of buttons I get does not include the one which should be the last one, the factory image restore one. What am I doing wrong? Is there another way to do a restore? The recovery partition is intact and the factory image.wim file is there. I just can't seem to access it. Can anyone help please? Many thanks.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 8th, 2018 03:00

The partition is damaged so its broken forever.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/osiso/recoverytool

2 Posts

March 25th, 2018 16:00

No it isn't, they said the FACTORY.WIM is still there. I'm betting the problem is that they have manipulated the OS Partition and made it the Boot Partition rather than the Recovery Partition (SOP, always the Bootable one, where the REAL BCD Store is). Still, they'll need an Install DVD to fix it (pretty easy to do). This information on how-to is all over the WWW ("format" then "imagex apply" then "diskpart" to ensure Recovery Partition is the Boot). The WINRECONFIG.XML for the "missing" entry (it points to the Dell Recovery Program, of which several variations exist) is in the Recovery (Boot) Partition, either in a "Flat" WinRE-type setup or in the WinRE.WIM (depending on how Dell set it up). If the OP hasn't "wiped out" the Disk (which would have possibly wiped the RECOVERY partition irretrievably) then it's possible to Recover properly. Let's see if they come back? Side note: Always a bad idea to say "Wipe the disk and reinstall". Too many people say that and it's flat wrong. Your suggestion to get the "latest one" isn't a bad idea BUT you can ONLY get Professional (I have it) as they no longer provide any other Downloadable Editions. (BTW, they're Multi-Language Dual-Layer Monsters.)

2 Posts

March 25th, 2018 17:00

Followup to clarify: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/add-a-custom-tool-to-the-windows-re-boot-options-menu Browse your own RECOVERY partition VERY carefully to see what I mean. Hope this helps
No Events found!