Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 1st, 2011 12:00

No "advanced boot options" in my PC?

So, I have a Dell laptop. The model is Studio 1747, using Windows 7. Not long time ago I had a virus problem with another computer and I gave up, because I was unable to repair it and I simply restarted the computer from the begining by using the Factory Image. I was quite easy, since the option appeared during the starting screen. Now, I was wondering if I could do the same with my Dell laptop, it's in perfect state, but just in case, it would be useful. I went through the things that I recieved with the computer and among them, I found the manual and it says that during the starting screen (when the Dell Logo appears) I had to press F8. Though, it does nothing, in fact the screen doesn't mention that F8 does anything. So I tried F12, which the screen says to "boot options". So I did, but all I had was the choice to boot from the hard drive or DVD/CD or USB and of course "exit".

That's the problem I' facing, my Dell laptop model Studio 1747 using Windows 7 doesn't show "advanced boot options" and I can't find how to restore from the factory image anywhere. Anyone knows where could I find this?

Here I got more information that could be usefull:

-There is constantly a USB port being used, it's the little device that connects my wireless mouse to the computer
- With the box, I also recieved two disks: An Operation System (OS) disk (contains Windows 7, I guess) and another disk called Drivers and Utilities. I don't know if they're actually what I need to start my computer from its original state.
- When I go to "My PC", there are 2 Hard Drives: OS and DATAPART1, but there is no "Factory image"

Any help, plz?

6.4K Posts

August 1st, 2011 22:00

Safe Mode is reached via the F8 Advanced Start-up menu.  The F8 hotkey is not part of the computer; the F2 and F12 keys operate on the BIOS of the computer, F8 is part of Windows.  That is why you must wait until the self test is over.  At that point the Dell logo disappears and you have about two seconds to tap F8, which tells Windows you want to go to the Advanced Start-up menu.  That is where you find Safe Mode and Repair My Computer, among a number of other choices.  Restoring the Dell image is normally in the Repair My Computer item.

6.4K Posts

August 1st, 2011 17:00

If you have the Dell image on your laptop you need to press F8 to reach it just as you did before.  F8 brings up the Advanced Start-up options in Windows, which means you need to press it just after the Dell logo disappears and before Windows begins to load.  Sometimes the timing can be tricky.

August 1st, 2011 22:00

What I did before was in another computer, it wasn't even a dell computer and I was a desktop and not a laptop.

What worries me is that I even don't know if I actually have factory image. I don't have a hard drive named "Factory image" in "My PC" on my DELL laptop, though my desktop has. I tried pressing F8 and it did nothing. Plus in the screen that shows the DELL logo, there are only 2 options: F2 for setup and F12 for boot options (which none leads to what I'm looking for). I even don't find how to go to "safe mode"!

August 2nd, 2011 13:00

Many thanks sir, this really helped me out. Indeed, it was about timing, I had like 2 seconds after the DELL logo disapeared (it showed a little white dash in a dark screen), I spamed the F8 button and it sent me to another screen where I had the option to repair the computer, go to safe mode and other options.

My question is now answered :)

2 Posts

March 16th, 2018 05:00

Hello,

I have tried what you suggest so many times and it still doesn't take me to Advanced Boot. I have been trying for about an hour. I see the little dash after the logo disappears and I have been pressing it extensively from the moment the logo disappears but nothing, just goes to the logon page. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Av

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 16th, 2018 12:00

@Avviwrote:

Hello,

I have tried what you suggest so many times and it still doesn't take me to Advanced Boot. I have been trying for about an hour. I see the little dash after the logo disappears and I have been pressing it extensively from the moment the logo disappears but nothing, just goes to the logon page. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Av

Do you also have the same model of PC as the original post?

2 Posts

March 19th, 2018 02:00

Hello,

Sorry for the delay.

The laptop in question is a Dell Latitude 3330.

Thanks,

Avril

1 Message

March 28th, 2019 21:00

There is no 'repair my computer' in the advanced boot options menu.  Win 7 pro, 64 bit, Precision M6800 workstation.

Now what?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 29th, 2019 07:00

Dell Data Safe and Dell Backup and Recovery are End of Life, End of Support.

The Factory Recovery option is encrypted and once broken can never be used again.

The Dell recovery too likely won't help either.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln299044/how-to-download-and-use-the-dell-os-recovery-image-in-microsoft-windows?lang=en

Microsoft has removed the Digital River downloads for windows 7.

If your windows 7 COA Key is not damaged and you can read it you can buy an OEM System Builder DVD of windows 10  1809 and install that.  You can use the one DVD to install ALL of your systems that have 7 or 8 or 10.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832588491

You tell it you don't have a key when it asks.

Then Run SLUI 3 from an admin command prompt while online to activate.

WIN7 PRO and Ultimate users select windows 10 pro

WIN7 Home Users Select Windows 7 Home.

There isn't a path for windows 7 Starter users.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/system-builder-deployment-of-windows-10-for-desktop-editions

1 Message

November 14th, 2019 12:00

Does the Dell Latitude e6420 have the same procedure as your computer mine is having the exact same issue I cannot get to BIOS Recovery through startup

January 12th, 2024 22:49

@jackshack​ I have tried the F8 Key several times. Dell INSPERION 1525 Windows 10, IGNORES the tapping of the F8 Key. During the Startup procedure, it never finishes and goes to "LOCKUP". Sometimes "Hibernation" and powers OFF. Windows 10 never lets Me do any interaction with Laptop except F12

Thanks for your time

StefanoMule

No Events found!