Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2005 02:00

Norton Ghost 9.0

Could someone tell me if Ghost 9.0 will read and backup to Iomega  external  160 Gb Hard Drive?  Norton Support was indirect about this. 

Many thanks.

Vandalia

770 Posts

February 7th, 2005 02:00

If the drie attaches via USB or firewire,  it should. 

I have tried Ghost 9.0,  and don't really like it,  but it was able to write to my Maxtor 250GB drive in a Buslink external USB2/Firewire enclosure.  I don't like Ghost v9 because you can't boot from a DOS floppy and image a system.  You have to have Ghost installed on the system you are imaging in order to use the new Ghost.  I will revert to Ghost v8,  or stick with Acronis True Image.  Using True Image v8,  I can image my system drive (about 40 GB used on a 60GB drive) and complete the entire image in just over an hour while running XP.  I can later boot using a "recovery CD" and restore that image file onto an empty disk and have a bootable system.

2.2K Posts

February 7th, 2005 14:00

JersWork - can you tell me if the Ghost 9.0 CD includes Ghost 2003 or Ghost 8 as a separate component? I've heart that it does, but I'm looking for confirmation.

Ghost 9 is a version of Drive Image, which executes from Windows rather than DOS as Ghost 2003 and Ghost 8 do? Operating from within Windows, it should be able to access anything Windows can, unlike imaging software that executes from DOS that may have difficulty with locating drivers for some things, like a notebook PCMCIA to USB adapter? Acronis True Image 8 executes from Windows rather than DOS?

GM

770 Posts

February 7th, 2005 17:00

I don't have ready access to my Ghost 9 CD right now,  but I can answer most of your questions without it.

Ghost 9 does execute from within windows.  It also executes when you boot from the Ghost 9 CD,  but those appear to be your only options.  It does have access to external drives attached via USB (or Firewire) when booting from within windows,  but I don't remember being able to see them when booting from the CD (as you would for a disaster recover restore).

Acronis True Image 8 also executes from within Windows,  so it can see all your attached drives.  Acronis allows you to build a "recovery CD" which boots a Linux kernel and allows you to restore images.  This recovery CD was able to see my external USB drives,  but not my external firewire drives.

One really good thing about both of tose packages is that they support "incremental images".  You can create an image,  then later,  create and incremental backup and it will only "image" the files which have changed.  This is handy if your full backup takes about 8-9 DVD's like mine.  I can create an incremental weekly and only need 3-4 CD'c to hold what changed.  Granted,  Using True Image (and Ghost as well) I sent them to create image files in 642MB pieces.  This way,  7 pieces filles one DVD-R with a few MB to spare (literally less than 10 MB empty) and still is usable if I want to write the data to a CD rather than use a DVD for a small amount of data.

2.2K Posts

February 8th, 2005 05:00

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to gain a better understanding of the variables, but I only use Ghost 2003 for occasional system partition backups to an internal CDRW drive. When another poster mentioned the possibility of Ghosting an image to a USB drive through an adapter on the PCMCIA port of a notebook, I was unsure of the complications that might arise. It got me to thinking, but now my head hurts.

Thanks again for the info.

GM

38 Posts

February 8th, 2005 14:00

G.M.

According to Norton web site,  Ghost 9.0  CD  does come with Ghost 2003.

Vandalia

2.2K Posts

February 8th, 2005 19:00

Thanks Vandalia. I should have done my homework a little better!

This link covers Ghost 2003 and 8.0 compatibility issues, including external devices.

This document describes the different locations to which you can save a backup image, and the advantages and disadvantages of each, relevant to Norton Ghost 9.0 and Drive Image 7.0.

GM

PS - The latter link may be exactly why you indicated Norton Support was indirect about this.

"Must have supported storage device drivers to restore from the Symantec Recovery Disk CD; could require additional media along with the Symantec Recovery Disk CD."

Message Edited by GreyMack on 02-08-2005 02:17 PM

38 Posts

February 9th, 2005 03:00

Grey,

I really thank you for those Links. However I just don't  understand what Symantec is saying: "Must have supported device drivers to restore fromSymantec Recovery Disk CD"

I invisioned copying my C-drive (every last byte of it) to my new Iomega external hard drive with firewire. Then if disaster struck, I would fix or replace the C-drive and (operating from the Iomega) restore everything back to C-drive.  Am I dreaming? Am I in for a rude awakening? As you can tell, I've never backed up a drive and I'm starting to get the shakes from my miscalculation and uncertainity. This is truly grevious. What to do now????????????

Thanks.

Vandalia 

2.2K Posts

February 9th, 2005 08:00

I can't say I understand it completely either, but most USB and Firewire limitations have been overcome since the release of Ghost 2003/8.0.  I believe standard USB hard drives are pretty well covered by selecting USB support from a menu, drivers for most standard optical and hard drives are included, and the need for drivers from a device manufacturer are rare. (Accessing devices through a PCMCIA adapter to USB or Firewire remains a challenge that notebook owners may encounter.)

GM
No Events found!