Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 6th, 2009 07:00

Prob with backing up files and settings before doing system restore

I have been unable to download Windows updates and with expert help have tried all troubleshoot options except reset to factory settings or reinstall XP on my Inspiron 530S.

Plan to do system reset to factory settings, but the Transfer Wizard has thrown up following issues: It says it can't copy C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\fidbox.dat and C:Documents & Settings\Laura\NTUser.dat.  I understand these relate to drivers and my registry key .... 

What are the implications if I reset to factory settings and then restore files and settings without these files?

Thx L

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

April 6th, 2009 08:00

Hi lollyven, Im almost sure your C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\fidbox.dat has something to do with your anti virus, and the other is just an document you have. But ,as for your problem, ive had that on my 530s, and i went onto the microsoft vista forums last march, and i was then advised to reinstall vista.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 6th, 2009 08:00

Drivers do not need to be backed up.  Any hardware drivers such as sound, video, etc must be installed from the Dell drivers and utilities disc (if you do a manual reinstall).  And, any hardware drivers your are missing can be downloaded from the Dell downloads. 

However, your PC has the Dell Recovery Partition on the hard drive (Accessed by CTRL/F11 at initial boot and before Windows starts) and that will completely restore your PC to the original factory condition and it does not require any install or driver CD's.

Basically, all you need to back up is any user data (word processor files, photos, music, etc) your e-mail account, address book and any e-mails that you want to keep, and your I.E. favorites.  All programs will have to be reinstalled using the program's install procedure.

No Events found!