Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 21st, 2015 02:00

Problems with Dell Factory Image Restore - Dell Inspiron 1564 - Windows 7 Home Premium

Hi,

My laptop (Dell Inspiron 1564 - Windows 7 Home Premium) slowed down a few days ago and I decided to restore the system to Dell Factory Image. The process started but stopped more than halfway and gave the following message, "Failed to apply Image". I restarted the system but it would now not boot up, not even in safe mode! Perhaps, during the restore process few essential Windows files have been erased.

I want to restore the Dell Factory Image and cannot re-install Windows since I have lost the product key of my original Windows 7 installation DVD provided by Dell at the time of laptop purchase. Your help / advice is solicited and would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. System's Recovery Partition is intact and has factory.wim and other related directories / files intact.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 21st, 2015 05:00

If you are using the Dell Windows 7 Home Premium Reinstallation DVD it will automatically apply Dell OEM SLP activation. In short a product key is input from the DVD and activates if and only if the BIOS is validated by Dell to run Windows 7. You therefore do not need the 25 digit key on the COA. If you want to know the code then look under the battery.

See here for more details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/a-clean-install-of-windows-7/windows-7-installation/

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 21st, 2015 07:00

If the method to reinstall by tapping F8 repeatedly, selecting repair your computer and then launching Dell DataSafe Local Backup or Dell Backup and Recovery does not work you'll be unable to restore to Dell Factory settings unless you made the recovery media in advance.

Your BIOS is validated by Dell to run Windows 7 otherwise your factory settings would be non-genuine.

4 Posts

March 21st, 2015 07:00

Thank you for your response.

Before I try your suggested solution, can you clarify two things:-

1. I have read that there is a manual method of restoring to Dell Factory Image also? Is there a chance that it might work in my case as well? If yes, can you guide me on the manual method?

2. Secondly, if I try your suggested solution and BIOS is not validated by Dell to run Windows 7, would manual method of restoring to Dell Factory Image still work thereafter? 

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 22nd, 2015 08:00

Great thanks for posting back to let us know your installation was successful.

4 Posts

March 22nd, 2015 08:00

Thank you, my problem is resolved.

Although factory image restore system did not get resolve but i have been able to put my system right, by following your suggestion and performing fresh installation using OEM provided reinstallation DVD. As you had said, it did not ask for Product Key. All well now :emotion-2:

Thanks once again.

No Events found!