Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 30th, 2007 15:00

Projector problems with Inspiron 1501

I just set up my new Inspiron 1501, with Vista Home Basic last night. Today, I'm trying to get it to work with an IBM projector. I have both the laptop and the projector plugged in and turned on. The manual for Inspiron says to press Fn + F8. That didn't help, it didn't even bring up a window. Right now, I'm really really hoping that working with a projector is in fact something that Vista Basic can do. At any rate, is there anything I can do to get this projector working? I really need to know how to run a projector--it seemed so simple with XP. In 6 hours, I'm going to try out my new laptop at a location I'll be teaching a class at next week, and I'd like to know what to do! I did a right-click/Personalize/Connect to an external projector, but in the Windows Mobility Center window, nothing opened up that said "Projector." I clicked on "Connect Display," but nothing worked. I switched two cords, one of which is known to work, so I'm thinking that its not the cord. The projector itself is projecting an image (the standard image it does, when its not hooked up to a computer). Any suggestions?

74 Posts

May 30th, 2007 16:00

Thanks, Inspiron. I did go to the Start menu (Vista style, not the classic one) and I went to Accessories, but there was nothing about Connect to a Network Printer option available. I do appreciate your help, but is there anything else I can try?

May 30th, 2007 16:00

Try going to start (Pearl), all programs, accessories, then click on connect to a network projecter program. This will show you through the steps of setting up your projector.

May 31st, 2007 10:00

Does Home basic support a second display. I am not so sure. May be somebody can check it out
check featuree comparison on MS site

I think the second display support is only available in Home premium

Check this description on windows mobility centre

74 Posts

May 31st, 2007 13:00

When I went home, I hooked my laptop up to my desktop monitor, and it automatically detected it, giving me a window asking me if I want the image on both displays, or just the second. I didn't have to press Fn-F8 or anything else--so I know that Vista Basic can support a second monitor/display. But why it wouldn't connect to a running projector via a good cable, is unknown to me.

May 31st, 2007 13:00

Did u try Switching on the projector first and then the laptop.

I am using my Inspiron 6400 with Acer XD1170 and I have noted sometimes if the sequence is reverse the Laptop does not detect the projector.

One more alternative is to use S-vhs port instead of VGA cable if your Laptop and projector support it ( typically a yellow colour round port)
No Events found!