Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2008 13:00

Question about upgrade from novice computer person

I'm trying to post a message and really don't know how,but anyway,can some on explain to me the best way to upgrade from Vista Home Basic to Home Premium? I have a Vista Home Basic with 3GB of memory just put in prep for the upgrade, Mine is just the very Basic computer from Dell. Do I have to buy it from Dell? My warranty has expired and I'm looking for the most cost effective deal. I don't play games or listen to much music. I want to watch TV online and am having trouble with the thing cutting in and out. My speed is DSL Extreme from ATT.I don't know what else would be relevant.

12.7K Posts

October 12th, 2008 17:00

Please post your model of Dell, so others can help you.

18 Posts

October 12th, 2008 20:00

I have a Dell Inspiron 531 with Home Basic Vista. I have another problem now,I uninstalled my Windows Media Player thinking it would improve the performance,now I can't get it to reinstall at all!! Any ideas what I did? Can I get it back? Where? I'm REALLY upset now!!

18 Posts

October 12th, 2008 23:00

After I read this it sounded silly,I didn't uninstall WMP I uninstalled Silverlight!! isn't supported on my computer

3.2K Posts

October 13th, 2008 15:00

Should be no problen uninstalling Siverlight  . . it's not needed.

To upgrade, Right click on the Computer Icon and select Properties . . You should see a link to "Upgrade Windows Vista" . . click that and follow the yellow brick road

18 Posts

October 13th, 2008 16:00

I should have told you I have Vista now,I just want to get Home Premium,is that what your referring to? One thing I really want to know if you don't mind why does Dell want to charge $129.00 for the upgrade and Microsoft charge $79.00? Just the money? Is one better ?

18 Posts

October 14th, 2008 00:00

Thats what I thought but I a nervus Nellie and don't really know one from another,Thank-you so much I'm gonna wait a few weeks then,Look out ,I'll either tear it up or I'll celebrate!!!!!

3.2K Posts

October 14th, 2008 00:00

I should have told you I have Vista now,I just want to get Home Premium,is that what your referring to?

Yep

One thing I really want to know if you don't mind why does Dell want to charge $129.00 for the upgrade and Microsoft charge $79.00? Just the money? Is one better ?

Just the money . . upgrade is an upgrade

No Events found!