Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2009 20:00

Re-Installing Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

Hi,

I had an issue with my OS and had to re-install windows XP on my Dell my XPS system. The Dell OS CD that came with my desktop has a label which says Windows Media Center Edition 2005 with update roll up 2 but after installing the CD and when I go to system properties the version is displayed Windows Media Center Edition 2002. How do I get this to 2005? Also, I ran upgrade assistant that had come along with Vista urage and I get a message stating that I cannot upgrade the current version of my OS to Vista...Could someone Please help me? Thanks !!

• 

17K Posts

January 16th, 2009 10:00

srs_2,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

You cannot run an upgrade from Media Center to Vista. You will need to install a full version of Vista.

You are seeing the underlying XP version (which is 2002). To find the MCE
version, you must be in the MCE interface and look under the Settings menu
(System, About, I think) to find the MCE version.

1 Message

February 19th, 2009 12:00

I think the issue here, Jesse, it that the computer was sold with XP MCE 2002 with the promise of a free Vista upgrade when it came out.  The problem is that the XP disk for reinstallation that comes with the pc says  XP 2005. 

I had contacted support over the phone and was told to do a clean install of the 2005 disk and then you will be able to run the Vista upgrade disk.  The problem is that after installing the 2005 disk, it still says you are running the 2002 version.  The upgrade wizard will tell you the OS is the wrong version for the udgrade. 

Basically I didn't get what I paid for from Dell.   No one at the phone support wants to correct this and provide the correct software.  Does the upgrade disk also have a full install on it?

2 Posts

February 19th, 2009 18:00

I think the issue here, Jesse, it that the computer was sold with XP MCE 2002 with the promise of a free Vista upgrade when it came out.  The problem is that the XP disk for reinstallation that comes with the pc says  XP 2005. 

I had contacted support over the phone and was told to do a clean install of the 2005 disk and then you will be able to run the Vista upgrade disk.  The problem is that after installing the 2005 disk, it still says you are running the 2002 version.  The upgrade wizard will tell you the OS is the wrong version for the udgrade. 

Basically I didn't get what I paid for from Dell.   No one at the phone support wants to correct this and provide the correct software.  Does the upgrade disk also have a full install on it?

I was able to install Vista on my system. Do not use the Upgrade Assistant that you might have received from Dell, you'll get a message stating that the current OS cannot be upgraded or something to that effect. Instead, boot the system using the Vista DVD and then go ahead and install the OS, the OS is complete and I'm not having any issues after the install.

No Events found!