Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2009 21:00

Reinstalling Vista 64-bit

I'm trying to reinstall Vista on my XPS M1530 again after I had some problems with it and can no longer boot into it. So I was wondering what is the correct sequence for installing all the drivers?

thanks

3.7K Posts

January 18th, 2009 03:00

I'm trying to reinstall Vista on my XPS M1530 again after I had some problems with it and can no longer boot into it. So I was wondering what is the correct sequence for installing all the drivers?

thanks

Hi marcoshid, Try this,

1. Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first. Currently, the DSS and NSS are not required for systems with Windows Vista installed. This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

5. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

6. Modem - Allows dialup capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

7. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

8. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

9. Other Devices 

• Bluetooth® Module
      This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    • Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards
      This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
    • PCMCIA/Smartcard controller
      This is located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

You can download the latest drivers for the list above from the Dell Drivers and Downloads page.  It is recommended that you print this driver order list before starting the download process on the Dell Drivers and Downloads page.

4.6K Posts

January 18th, 2009 04:00

You should have a 'Restore' partition on your hard drive, do you not?

Whilst the advice above is necessary for installing drivers in the correct order after a 'clean' reinstall... you can get back up and running more quickly, and with the minimum of fuss, by using the 'restore' option, to return your laptop to its factory settings.

See here for how to do that.

Once you've restored it, visit the XPS M1530 'Drivers & Downloads' section, to get the latest drivers :emotion-5:

45 Posts

January 18th, 2009 10:00

I don't have a 'Restore' partition because I bought the XPS with 32-bit software and OS but decided to upgrade to 64-bit so I bought a new HDD and used it, my 32-bit which I'm using for the time being is ok but I want to have 64-bit. I was hoping to be able to repair the 64-bit so far I have been unable to do anything with it, I've tried repairing it with the OS DVD but nothing changes. I'll post up the error message once I get back home in a couple of hours and switch the HDDs to see if any of you know a fix for it.

Thanks

45 Posts

January 18th, 2009 20:00

I decided I'll just reformat the drive and start over. Thanks for trying to help me out

No Events found!