Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2012 19:00

Reinstalling Windows 7 on a Dell inspiron Laptop without the CD

hi i bought dell inspiron 3 mnths back for 500$.

i dont know why they had not sent windows 7 os cd for me which is free of cost.

suddenly my os has been crashed i coudlnt recover my os as my system is not repsonding.

i want to reinstall my os windows 7 on to my laptop with cd which i doesnt have with me.

please provide me some answers so that i can install windows 7 on to my system with cd.

finally i need windows 7 cd to install os onto my laptop.

i am sick calling to customer care number which never connects.

4 Posts

Hi Prateek,

neither i had got your mail or friend request in my inbox.

i had sent you friend request can you respond to that.

regards,

naren.

943 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for contacting the community.

I regret the inconvenience that you are facing. Before I can assist you with the issue, would request you to send me some details like, Service tag or the Express Service code of the system, so that I can help you further. . Kindly let me know the above details through private messaging only, kindly do not share the information on open forum, Also, I would request you to elaborate the issue and please let me know the problems which you are facing on the system.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards
Prateek K
#iworkfordell

4 Posts

Hi Prateek,

Thanks for your reply.

i could n't find your friend request.

regards,

naren.

4 Posts

November 12th, 2012 20:00

hi prateek,

is that copy and paste answer for any question.

neither i had not recieved your mail or friend req.

i had sent you frnd request and sent you private msg.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 13th, 2012 10:00

Dell no longer includes installation media with their systems, unless it is specifically requested/selected at the time of order (usually a $3 charge).  This is not unique to Dell ... nearly ALL OEM's (HP, Acer, etc.) do this.

You can request a replacement disk here, if in the U.S., free of charge:

support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form

Or you can borrow a Windows 7 DVD from someone else that has a Dell Windows 7 DVD (although it MUST match the version of your license - Pro, Ultimate, Home, etc.).

Or you can use a Retail DVD (again that matches your licensed version), then activate using the Product Key on your computer over the phone.  You can download a copy of Retail media from Microsoft's online partner, Digital River, here:

www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

November 13th, 2012 11:00

See my wiki A Clean Install of Windows 7, this will guide you through requesting a reinstallation dvd or use the digital river .isos. See Step 3 which discusses the merits and disadvantage of both ways. It will also give you instructions on how to install Windows 7.

August 3rd, 2013 07:00

Hi Prateek,

I am also facing some problem in my laptop.So I have no option left but reinstalling the OS.I also havent got any installation cd from Dell.Can you help me out

2 Posts

December 30th, 2013 00:00

sir, i bought my dell inspiron 1545 laptop with service tag <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy> and express service code <ADMIN NOTE: Service code removed per privacy policy> around 5 years ago with windows 7. But now i doesn't  have the recovery backup and even windows 7 product key. my question is can i know my original windows product key at present situation?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 30th, 2013 04:00

Follow my Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

In the Inspiron 1545 the product key is found in the battery compartment. Dell put it there to protect it as Microsoft provided COAs which were of low quality and prone to fading.

You are best to use a Digital River .iso and the Activation Backup and Recovery Program as instructed in the Windows Reinstallation Guide. This will allow you to create a Windows installation USB and backup the Dell SLP key activation mechanism and reactivate your product without the need to call a Microsoft Product Activation centre. The guide explains the procedure in more detail.

1 Message

July 28th, 2014 13:00

i bought a dell windows 7 laptop early this year on my way to study in the Uk, now the laptop is being infected by virus and all manners of pop-ups, i have been trying to restore it to factory status, the system is demanding that i insert my os cd which i am not in possession of at the moment, perhaps i have misplaced it along the line.although i can't remember ever having it at any point in time.

please can you assist in me in restoring my system back to default settings, as i need it importantly for my studies.

Ojighoro A T.

1 Message

December 13th, 2015 19:00

Hi Prateek,

I am having the similar issue with my Dell Inspiron laptop bought 2 years back. Suddenly, my hard drive damaged and i have to replace with a new hard drive.

I have the Express Service code of my system that i can share to you. Can you provide Windows OS activation key associated with that express service code? 

Please let me know. Thank you in advance.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 14th, 2015 11:00

Hi Prateek,

I am having the similar issue with my Dell Inspiron laptop bought 2 years back. Suddenly, my hard drive damaged and i have to replace with a new hard drive.

I have the Express Service code of my system that i can share to you. Can you provide Windows OS activation key associated with that express service code? 

Please let me know. Thank you in advance.

It always help if you state your model and Version of Windows.

However 2 years ago its likely a Windows 8.1 OEM installation unless you specifically bought a system downgraded to Windows 7. The product key is embedded in the UEFI BIOS. It will be automatically input by Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 TH2 installation media during installation.

You have a free upgrade to Windows 10 TH2:

https://philipyip.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/th2-upgrade-table.pdf

To Download Windows 10 TH2 Installation Media see here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

To Download Windows 8.1 Installation Media see here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/

Windows 10 TH2 is recommended. If you are asked for a product key for either source of installation media you have selected the incorrect Edition. e.g. try Windows 10 Home Single Language instead of Windows 10 Home.

1 Message

March 23rd, 2016 15:00

I am having similar problem!  

I have an Inspiron 1300 that I bought used, no disks came with it.  Apparently an install or uninstall caused a "device" to be unfindable so it no longer boots up properly.  

I had acquired Windoze 7 Ultimate SP1 to upgrade, and did, yet it came only as an ISO file and the computer does not recognize it anymore, on a DVD, when I boot up.  

I explored F2 and F12, which show up upon bootup, though found no solutions.  

HELP!!!!!!!  

I'd put the computer aside for about 6 months, it's recently become my only accessible computer, so I need solutions pronto.  

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 24th, 2016 15:00

The Inspiron 1300 is over 10 years old... Not all had DVD drives some have CD drives only that won't recognise a DVD. Also the system is not 64 Bit compatible.

No Events found!