Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2008 04:00

Reinstalling Windows

I have a Dell Inspiron 600m, and I would like to reinstall Windows XP. I got the laptop in USA but I have moved to Hong Kong for good. I do not have the reinstall discs. I know I can order them, but I doubt Dell would send the discs to Hong Kong, and Hong Kong Dell support would not take responsibility because it's bought in the USA.

So, my question is, can I use a generic Windows XP CD but use the product key for my laptop? Or must I use the Dell disc? If so, should I contact Dell USA or Dell Hong Kong? Warranty is over, by the way.   

2 Posts

Thanks for your reply. So, how can I that OEM Dell disc, given that I am in Hong Kong? The request disc page doesn't allow foreign address.

1.6K Posts

You must use the OEM Dell disc with the product key you have.  The other option, which is about the only one you have - use that copy with its product key (or if you don't have it, or used it already, purchase a retail copy of XP).

3.7K Posts

December 30th, 2008 06:00

Hi arthurn, The link HERE will take you technical support for Hong Kong, who can supply you with the OEM disc's. Ps I like the way it is set out in 2 languages.

No Events found!