Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2016 11:00

Reinstalling win7

I have xps l502x, out of warranty, and I am reinstalling win 7. It ask for drivers, but it will not accept my "drivers and utility" cd. When I load the cd and reboot I get "No Operating System..." message.

Do I load the drivers before install the os? How do I do that? Or, is there an easier alternative.

thx, in advance

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

What is the exact error message?  Are you able to install Windows 7 and reach the desktop or is this message before you even get to install the OS?  In general, you always install the OS first then the Drivers, however some HDD combinations that use a Cache SSD require a 'special' driver at install for the computer to see the HDD/SSD combo.

7 Posts

it is in the installation process "collecting info" stage when a pop up window asks to load drivers. I select Browse btn to view my driver/utility disk and none of the folder have the files needed. ( at least in the format it needs).

7 Posts

March 17th, 2016 07:00

thanks for the info. In reading your message, I do have A12 BIOS. So I decided to install win 10 since is seemed easier than win 7. tired several times to run it, but it crashes every time at 12% with various error messages.

Bad_Pool_Header

System_Service_Exception

Kernal_Security_Check_Failure

IRQL_Not_Less_OR_Equal

Is my hard drive corrupt?

I will take the long road next and try to install win 7 per your instructions.

Thanks again for your help.

7 Posts

March 24th, 2016 09:00

thx natakuc4.

Turns out i had a bad RAM stick. Win10 is up and running.

I had win10 running before the crash and I thought it was part of the problem since my system is 4 years old. After your response, I decided not to reinstall win7.

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

March 24th, 2016 11:00

Ugh Windows 10..  At least your having luck with it!

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 24th, 2016 15:00

Great thanks for letting us know the problem. Did you replace the RAM module?

7 Posts

March 29th, 2016 09:00

Yes, Philip, I did replace the modules. I went with (2) corsair vengeance 8gb each.

No Events found!