Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2010 15:00

Reloading Windows 7 to XP on a Vostro 230?

We had to have Dell replace the HD under warranty. We had the machine only 2 months. it came with both OS cds but only one 25 digit code on the machine which says "Windows 7" on it and nothing about XP. This is exactly the same as another machine we bought at the same time. We installed XP only and of course we are getting validation issues. Do we need to install Windows 7? do we have to uninstall XP first? How do we do what needs to be done? Even though it is under warranty and Dell had to replace the hard drive they can/will not help without extra $$ and I would prefer not to pay them for this, on principles if nothing else.

August 17th, 2010 07:00

Thanks Jesse but I think you miss understand. We purchased W7 downgraded to XP. It was all loaded when it arrived but must be reloaded do to the hard drive change out when it went bad. The machine came with both W7 & XP disks. The only OS key on this machine is for W7. We need it to be operating in XP but have no OS key for XP. BTW, we ordered another machine with the same OS setup and it only has the OS key on it for only  W7 also. This leads me to believe W7 must be installed for XP to operate but we have no knowledge as to how to load XP "on top of" W7. 

• 

17K Posts

August 17th, 2010 07:00

jbbouknight,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Since you have the Windows 7 disk go ahead and boot to it and install Win7. If you have Windows XP already installed and want to do an upgrade follow the steps below. You can download and install Win 7 drivers for your system below if you do not have the Win 7 drivers.

If you have a Windows 7 installation disc, insert the disc into your computer. Setup should start automatically. If it doesn't, click the Start button Picture of the Start button, click Computer, double-click your DVD drive to open the Windows 7 installation disc, and then double-click setup.exe. On the Install Windows page, click Install now. On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Upgrade to begin the upgrade

Vostro 230 Drivers Download Page

881 Posts

August 17th, 2010 08:00

What version of Windows 7 do you have?

Jeff

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 17th, 2010 19:00

Dell's Windows XP Reinstallation CD normally doesn't ask for a product key. It just checks to see that it's being installed on a Dell PC and then installs itself without asking for a key.

Ron

December 31st, 2010 18:00

jbbouknight,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Since you have the Windows 7 disk go ahead and boot to it and install Win7. If you have Windows XP already installed and want to do an upgrade follow the steps below. You can download and install Win 7 drivers for your system below if you do not have the Win 7 drivers.

If you have a Windows 7 installation disc, insert the disc into your computer. Setup should start automatically. If it doesn't, click the Start button Picture of the Start button, click Computer, double-click your DVD drive to open the Windows 7 installation disc, and then double-click setup.exe. On the Install Windows page, click Install now. On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Upgrade to begin the upgrade

Vostro 230 Drivers Download Page

Now I got it, It's very valuable, Thanks for your effort!

4 Posts

January 4th, 2011 08:00

If you need to install Windows 7 from scratch then i would recommend you follow this guide :

How to install Windows 7

No Events found!