Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2006 21:00

Removing Items from Startup

Using MSCONFIG, I have disabled several items in the Startup list (Dimension 4500, Windows XP) and would like to remove them completely from the Startup list.    I have checked in the Registry and some of them are not even listed, how can these items be removed?

T.Hyde

Dimension 4500, 2.53GHz processor, 512Mb DIMM, Windows XP, 20Gb hard disk, 80Gb hard disk, Roxio CD R/RW, Blueyonder Broadband & LAN, Dell Photo All-in-One printer.

Dimension 4100, 1GHz processor, 256Mb SDRAM, Windows ME, 20Gb hard disk, Adaptec CD R/DW, HP Deskjet 840C, Scanjet 3300c, Blueyonder Broadband & Lan

Inspiron 8600, 1.4 Ghz processor, 512Mb SDRAM, Windows XP Home, 40Gb hard disk, Philips CDRW/DVD disk drive, Blueyonder Broadband & Lan

Netgear RP614 v2 router.

570 Posts

March 3rd, 2006 18:00

Tommyo1954,

Select Advanced Mode to see the Tools Rohe is referring to.

1.5K Posts

Wow, thanks for telling me that.  I never knew that was available with Spybot, lol....   Goes to show that there is always something to learn on computers... Many thanks again..  This forum is a wealth of info; I have learned so much here..  thanks !

Tommy

1.5K Posts

Ron, I looked everywhere in my Spybot and cannot find that "tools" anywhere. By any chance, did you mean CrapCleaner ?  I did find a start-up thing in CrapCleaner that resembles the procedure you described above, so I just wondered if that was the program you were referring to.  Thanks !

Tommy

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 3rd, 2006 19:00

sparkenh -Thanks, I forgot to mention to select Advanced Settings on the toolbar first.

It's amazing at just how many things are crammed into Spybot for FREE. Like Secure Shredder, System Internals to fix Registry errors, IE tweaks. Most people never get beyond using Spybot just to look for spyware...

Glad to help.
BTW: if you change/delete something with Spybot and want to undo it, press Spybot's Recovery button. It creates a backup of everything it does, just in case something goes amiss.

Ron

Message Edited by RoHe on 03-03-2006 01:52 PM

11 Posts

March 8th, 2006 22:00

Can Spybot help me get rid of the System 32 folder opening at startup?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 8th, 2006 23:00

No, that's a common XP problem. See these for possible fixes:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/170086/en-us
http://www.djdenham.com/New%20user%20questions.htm#System32

I just noticed you've posted this same probelm before and probably been given sinilar suggestions. You want to run a system file check (sfc) which will replace any damaged/missing XP files and if that doesn't do it, you may have to do a repair/reinstall of XP.

Ron

Message Edited by RoHe on 03-08-2006 05:11 PM

280 Posts

March 9th, 2006 12:00

To RoHe: thanks for your additional advice.     I have, indeed, posted this problem before, not in Dell Forums, but in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general and here - http://www.security-forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=224677  - on the latter webpage there is some interesting information that I have followed up and this has helped me to get rid of some of the unlikely entries in the Startup list.     However, I have been very circumspect about the items with blank names since I am not certain about their function and they don't appear to have any unlikely values in their keys.    I also used Google to discover the origin of two others which I removed.    I think I have removed enough of them for the moment but I shall be wary about the Startup list in furture.

I have also used your latest advice and the KB 170086 item showed that the relevant sections of the Registry appeared to be squeaky clean.

T.Hyde

No Events found!