Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 29th, 2015 07:00

Serial number invalid on Optiplex 3020 - Windows & won't activate

Hi there,

In our company we have an Optiplex 3020 and have reinstalled the Windows 7 from scratch as I installed an SSD.

- I extracted the product key with a software in the preinstalled windows 7 (pro x64). As you know, there's no longer COA sticker with the key.

- I downloaded an image and installed windows 7 pro x64.

- I inserted the extracted key but windows says it's invalid so I can't even have the telephone option to validate the key.

My guess is that I was using the wrong W7 PRO x64 image but I downloaded the official ones, so it should be fine.

Could you let me know how I can activate Windows?

Thanks!

5.2K Posts

April 29th, 2015 09:00

From what site did you download the official Win 7 Pro image? Microsoft stopped providing Win 7 images 2-3 months ago.

• 

16.7K Posts

April 29th, 2015 09:00

daviddgz,

You can click the link below of a site that may be useful to you.

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/

6 Posts

May 4th, 2015 13:00

Sorry, but I don´t find any useful information there.

I downloaded the ISO from an official source long time ago and those images work in my Vaio with the serial in the sticker, but not in the DELL...

Any other ideas?

5.2K Posts

May 4th, 2015 14:00

You need the Win 7 activation code from the Dell sticker. If the Dell didn't come with Win 7, then you will need to purchase a retail copy of Win 7 or a Win 7 update disk if it came with XP or Vista. The code on the Vaio will NOT work, as this code is linked to the Vaio.

6 Posts

May 4th, 2015 15:00

I didn´t try to use the Vaio serial in the Dell, I only said the ISO worked fine in my Vaio with the COA sticker.

The DELL doesn´t have any COA sticker, so I was wondering how to do it...

natakuc4, thank you for linking the direct post to the solution. Much appreciated. I followed the steps and the PC is now activated.

Thank you!!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 5th, 2015 00:00

Would have posted the solution earlier but didn't know you had the Digital River .isos downloaded in advance (before Microsoft broke things).

Glad it worked out for you.

May 14th, 2015 12:00

Greetings,

I have the opposite problem: I have a license key sticker with my Optiplex 7010 but can't download Win7pro64 image to reinstall on a new SSD. And the usual method for downloading an image from Dell is not working for me. How can I get a direct download image to reinstall on my system?

Thanks,

Ellis

6 Posts

May 14th, 2015 13:00

Hi Elis,

I have the official image Win7pro64 if you want it. Send me a private and I will send you the link.

Cheers

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 14th, 2015 13:00

Greetings,

I have the opposite problem: I have a license key sticker with my Optiplex 7010 but can't download Win7pro64 image to reinstall on a new SSD. And the usual method for downloading an image from Dell is not working for me. How can I get a direct download image to reinstall on my system?

Thanks,

Ellis

If you are on factory settings try installing the latest version of Dell Backup and Recovery and using it to create installation media, see here for details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/dell-backup-and-recovery-1-8-1-71/

The instructions are for Windows 8.1 but will be more or less identical for Windows 7 with the exception of restoring from the internal recovery partition.

May 16th, 2015 19:00

Actually the hard drive that the OS was installed on is no more and I need to reinstall the system on a new drive which is now an SSD. So I'm starting from scratch with no backup or recovery disks.

May 16th, 2015 19:00

You get my message?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 17th, 2015 03:00

Actually the hard drive that the OS was installed on is no more and I need to reinstall the system on a new drive which is now an SSD. So I'm starting from scratch with no backup or recovery disks.

Microsoft have removed the Digital River download links and replaced them with a non-functional "Microsoft Software Recovery Tool" which deliberately blocks keys from Dell Windows 7 OEM licenses.

However you are in the US and the OptiPlex 3020 is a late 2013 model so might still be in warranty. Try to procure installation media from this link:

www.dell.com/recoverymedia

No Events found!