Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 3rd, 2005 23:00

Slow log off and shut down

I have a Dimension 4600 with Windows XP and its about 1 and a half years old.  For the past few weeks, when ever I log off or try to shut down the computer it takes anywhere from 3-10 minutes.  During the log or shut down process I usually get a window that says " this program is not responding."  It often brings up these 2 particular programs that are not responding ccApp or sw.  Then it says choose end now or cancel.  If I choose end now it still takes several minutes for it to log off or shut down.  I have run virus and spyware scans.  That resulted in 5 spyware which I eliminated but the problem still seems to occur.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

4 Posts

I don't know why that is happening, but just a heads up, mine was doing that for a while and then -kaput - my hard drive crashed.  I had to get a new one installed.  Dell was fantastic about it, sent one out right away but I lost most of my data.  So, what I would suggest, make sure you back up everything!  Hopefully its nothing, but take this as a universal warning.  Good Luck.

241 Posts

I would recommend going into Add-Remove programs and delete some un-wanted programs.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

24 Posts

December 4th, 2005 01:00

Mine is doing the very same thing,It's reallllllllll slow logging of and shutting down,I have no viruses or adware or any spyware whatsoever,I have read that user profile cleanup can help but I have no clue as to how to use it.

683 Posts

December 4th, 2005 09:00

This might be of some help.

3 Posts

December 4th, 2005 18:00

OK.  I tried removing some programs and that didn't work.  Also tried the link attached to gudgeon's post and some of those suggestions but no luck.  During this process I found a site called tasklist.org which helped identify what the programs ccApp and sw are.  ccApp is part of Norton/Symantec so I can't remove it.  Also found out that sw is the shockwave program.  I can remove shockwave but I haven't yet.  I tried some of the suggestions on the symantec website then restarted the computer.  So far haven't seen the box "ccApp program not responding".  However, I'm not convinced that has solved the problem.  Does anyone know if I remove the program shockwave can I then reinstall it if needed for free from the internet?  I don't have a CD for it.  Also what do I need shockwave for?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks!!
No Events found!