Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 1st, 2015 12:00

Softthinks Agent Service

I have a Dell-Alienware system and I've upgraded to Windows 10.  Each time I start the machine, a program labeled "Softthinks Agent Service" dominates my system for easily ten minutes.  The system is extremely sluggish almost to the point of being useless.

I can usually find what I need on the internet, but I can find little information on Softthinks other than it's a backup utility.  The only advice I can find about disabling it involves altering the registry or making a phantom folder in an obscure directory.  I am computer literate, but by no means an expert and I do not want to fool with the registry to accomplish something I should be doing legitimately.  Unfortunately, I can find no app or setting to alter the function.  It shows up nowhere on my system other than in the Task Manager.

What is Softthinks, why does it dominate my system each time I boot up, and how do I reduce the impact it is having?

Thank you for your help and advice.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 1st, 2015 14:00

Uninstall Dell Data Safe Local  Backup and use Windows Backup instead especially if you don't use Dell Backup. 

en.community.dell.com/.../19655141

6 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 07:00

I didn't have the indicated program, but I figured out that they call it AlienRespawn on these machines.  I uninstalled it and haven't had an issue.

Thanks for your help, Mary!

No Events found!