Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 24th, 2009 08:00

Switching operating systems

I have Windows Professional xp 64 bit OS, version 5.2 with service pack 2.  I also have the Windows Vista disk. This version of xp seems to be incompatible with many standard prohrams such as Norton 360 version 2 and Ubuntu versions. I tried to install Ubuntu and failed even when the version seems to be right one for this os.

Are there versions of Ubuntu and Norton that are compatible with my current operating system?

If I replaced the xp with Vista, will have to search for all kinds of drivers and find many problems during the switch?

2.6K Posts

May 24th, 2009 10:00

"I tried to install Ubuntu and failed even when the version seems to be right one for this os"

Ubuntu is a version of the Linux operating system, not a program - operating systems can't be installed on top of each other.  However, they can be installed in parallel with a dual-boot, or there are live versions that can run directly off of a CD without installing to your hard drive.  Could you explain a bit more what you want to do?

As far as security programs, Norton products don't support XP x64, but the Symantec business  products do.   There are several other companies that do have XP x64 protection, though - quick search shows Avast and Kaspersky have compatible products but there are certainly others.

To answer the question about drivers, need to know what model PC you have.  Or, click on Support on the top of the page, go to Drivers and Downloads, and enter either the model number or the service tag to see what operating systems are supported along with the drivers you need.

No Events found!