Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2009 08:00

System Recovery for Dell Inspiron 1520

Hi everyone! 

Hope you can help! Anyway - About a year ago not long after I had my laptop I called through to Dell Support, and not being to computer literate at the time, I'd had a virus installed on my laptop! Sooo I decided best to just flush the thing out and did a full system recovery - Yes dramatic I know but I just wanted a clean slate! 

Anyway - I would now like to do another one - There are numerous different pieces of advice on this through out the web, however they all mention enter one of the F keys on startup and further options become available to restore - However as before when I contacted Customer Support this option isn't there, and I can't remember for the life of me what I was advised to do! 

Also the tech agents I spoke too talked me through manually installing the drivers back onto the laptop again - But of course I can't remember what they are either! 

So if someone out there could help and let me know how to do a full system recovery and which drivers to install I'd REALLY appreciate it! 

Oh one last thing, when I tried with tech help then they advised me to take out the battery for a few minutes??? Sorry I know that's not helpfull in the least but It's all I can remember. 

Thanks 

Jo 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2009 16:00

Jo,

The operating system was not mentioned. There are different ways to approach this. If you have XP, it can be made a real simple procedure and XP SP3 can be installed all at the same time.

Here are the basics.

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings (easiest method unsing the Dell Factory image)

and

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer a little more involved beacuse of How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Rick

3 Posts

October 4th, 2009 00:00

Jo,

The operating system was not mentioned. There are different ways to approach this. If you have XP, it can be made a real simple procedure and XP SP3 can be installed all at the same time.

Here are the basics.

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings (easiest method unsing the Dell Factory image)

and

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer a little more involved beacuse of How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Rick

Thanks for your response.  It's Windows Vista.  I'll begin a new thread.

Thanks

Jo

No Events found!