Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 7th, 2012 05:00

The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default programs control panel.

Dear PudgyOne,

i am usiing inspiron 1525 with windows 7 32 bit. while opening a mp4 file or any other file (pdf etc. any one)  by right click and  "open with" command the follwing error pops up. But by going in default programs control panel it is working ok. but still the same error comes while using the "open with" operation.

The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default programs control panel. 

Dear please let me know the solution for the same.

arun gupta

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 10th, 2012 10:00

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 7th, 2012 14:00

Try installing the klite codec pack.

25 Posts

March 7th, 2012 18:00

thanks for the reply dear, but its not the case with media files but with all type of files...either media or docs etc..

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 8th, 2012 08:00

arun gupta,

Just saw this post.

Go to the mp4 file.

Right click on it, open with...          (You have to click on the name of the file to get the open with menu)

Choose default program.

You will then see...

Check the box, Always allow the select program to open this kind of file.

If Windows Media Player is not listed, then click the browse button.

It should take you to...

C:\Program Files

Look for a folder called, Windows Media Player. Click on it.

You should see...

Double click on wmplayer or wmplayer.exe

With the box checked, then click ok. Now the file will open and each time you try to open a MP4 file, Windows Media Player will play it for you.

Rick 

25 Posts

March 9th, 2012 06:00

Dear Pudgyone,

you are absolutely right but my problem is that while clicking on the choose default programe the following error comes....

"The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default programs control panel. "

Dear thanks for the post but it doesn't solve my problem......

arun gupta

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 9th, 2012 08:00

Go to the Start Menu, Default Programs and set up your defaults there. Some files require another 3rd party utility--pdf files for instance. For that you need to install a free pdf reader like Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader.

To follow the directions in Rick's post you must Right click and pick Open with from the popup menu, not just left click on the files.

25 Posts

March 9th, 2012 18:00

but i am not able to solve the problem by this method because i am not getting the same registry options as given in this......

25 Posts

Dear  Mary G .... i guess their is some registry problem their in my lappy.... thanks for the reply but i am not a new user... i know these common things like adobe, fox reader, primo pdf, nitro pdf etc... and how to use open with from pop menu... please help me to avoid the this error generated due to registry problem....

25 Posts

Dear All,

please have look to following link.... you will came to know the problem and little bit idea where i am talking....

social.technet.microsoft.com/.../7d2fb0fe-dd29-418a-87f5-89021ab5fa0e

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 10th, 2012 03:00

crossbite,

inspiron 1525 with windows 7 32 bit

You said, the registry may have problems. Did you use some type of registry cleaner?

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware update it and do a quick scan. Report back if it finds anything. From reading the other thread, it may be Malware related.

Did your Inspiron 1525 come with Windows 7 installed or did you install Windows 7?

If it came with Windows 7, did you create the Windows 7 - IMPORTANT Windows 7 Backup Disks to create? If not, please create the disks now.

Rick

25 Posts

March 10th, 2012 05:00

Pudgyone,

yes i said inspiron 1525 with windows 7..... i purchased this laptop with windows vista install inbuild in 2008.... but later on in 2011 i installed windows 7 in the same ......

i tried registry cleaner i.e. glary utility and antispyware like spybot for cleaning registry and spyware respectively.... and antimalware program is airtel pc secure......

I havent created any backup for this and also i dont have much system restore point ...so i cant restore the system to resolve the problem...

i also tried Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as you said but still suffering from the same problem.....

please let me know if any alternate solution is available....

if windows reinstallation is the last solution to resolve this solution.

arun gupta

25 Posts

March 11th, 2012 06:00

thanks rick

No Events found!