Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

February 5th, 2005 01:00

Toolbar won't stay locked

After having to spend a few hours healing a hijacker (Freshbar), now my IE toolbar won't stay the way I want it to.  Everytime I go to a website the toolbars look like this.  Then I re-configure it to look like this.  But I can't get it to stay that way, it always reverts to the old one.

Windows 98SE  OS

312 Posts

February 5th, 2005 14:00

I believe that it has something to do with the double-headed arrows.

When you "lock the toolbars", the double-headed arrows do not appear; thus, you are not allowed to pull down the toolbar into three levels; yet you are still allowed to right-click anywhere upon an empty space, i.e. still allowed to add things like the Addressbar, and Links. On the other hand, if you have double-headed arrows present (after you have configured your toolbar to your desired choices), then that means that you have not "locked the toolbars"; or, essentially, that you are still allowed to pull down the toolbar into three levels. "Locking the toolbars" does not mean that you are not permitted to add elements to a toolbar. It means that you are not permitted to move the toolbar up and down.

Try to configure your toolbar before going to that website that seems to change everything, and then "lock it at the top level", i.e. lock it into a single-line. Then visit the website. Does the website's toolbar suddenly change from a single-line configuration into a two-line configuration with an Addressbar visible on a separate line? If it does not..., then good. Then, right-click and add the "Addressbar"; this Address location should now appear on the top, single-line, not below as a separate Bar of its own. Yet if it does appear on a separate line, then perhaps you have an internal registry problem in your Internet Explorer settings KEY; or maybe, your IE Tools|Internet Options|Advanced|Browsing| "Enable Third Party Extensions..." is coming into play.

44 Posts

February 5th, 2005 19:00

Thanks for your reply, but perhaps I should have been more clear.

"After having to spend a few hours healing a hijacker (Freshbar), now my IE toolbar won't stay the way I want it to.  Everytime I go to any website the toolbars look like this .  Then I re-configure it to look like this .  But, no matter how I customize or lock the toolbars, I can't get it to stay that way, it always reverts to the old one when I go to another website or link."

"Enable third party browser extensions" was already un-checked.

Thanks, Den.

312 Posts

February 5th, 2005 20:00

After you lock your toolbar and then go to this registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar

the hexadecimal value in the right frame should read

0x00000001 [1]

Does it change as soon as you go to a website?

44 Posts

February 6th, 2005 19:00

Yes, the key is  0x00000001 [1]   when "Locked" is checked.  When I close then reopen in another website, the toolbar unfolds but the "Locked" is still checked and the value is still 0x00000001 [1] .

Den 

312 Posts

February 7th, 2005 12:00

Den,

I am not sure that I understand how you move from one site to another. For example, after you establish a single-line, IE web browser [locked] and then select a website from one of your Favorites...when you click your Favorite link, does it take you to that website; but now the IE toolbar has suddenly unfolded [unlocked] into two; and moreover, an immediate check of your registry key-value reveals that your browser is supposedly "locked"?

You wrote: "When I close and reopen...".

What does that mean?

Message Edited by xley on 02-07-2005 08:29 AM

312 Posts

February 7th, 2005 17:00

Den,

Try this:
  1. Disconnect from the internet.
  2. Open your Internet Explorer browser.
  3. Configure it into a single-line toolbar, unlocked.
  4. Click Full Screen.
  5. Close your Internet Explorer.
  6. Reopen your Internet Explorer.
    • (It should now open in Full Screen View)

7. Click the Full Screen button.
    • (It should now return to, and should reveal a single-line IE browser.)

8. "Lock the Toolbars".
  9. Go online.
  10. Go to a website.
    • (As I understand everything so far, your browser will now suddenly change your single-line configuration into a two-line configuration, yes?

Sorry for this nonsense. I just want to eliminate as much as possible first.

44 Posts

February 7th, 2005 17:00

You asked.....

".....when you click your Favorite link, does it take you to that website; but now the IE toolbar has suddenly unfolded [unlocked] into two; and moreover, an immediate check of your registry key-value reveals that your browser is supposedly "locked"?" 

Yes

"You wrote: "When I close and reopen...".
What does that mean?"

I open any website, re-configure, customize and lock the toolbar.  Close ( X ) the website.  Reopen the same (or any other) website, and discover the toolbars have unfolded back where they started before I configured them to this.  Then a check of the registry value still shows "locked".

44 Posts

February 8th, 2005 01:00

You said:

"Den,
Try this:
Disconnect from the internet.  Okay
Open your Internet Explorer browser.  Okay
Configure it into a single-line toolbar, unlocked.  Done
Click Full Screen.  Done
Close your Internet Explorer.  Done  
Reopen your Internet Explorer. Okay
(It should now open in Full Screen View)  It does

Click the Full Screen button.  Done
(It should now return to, and should reveal a single-line IE browser.)  Nope.  It unfolded.  

"Lock the Toolbars".   I reconfigured and then "locked" the toolbar  
Go online.  Okay
Go to a website. Okay
(As I understand everything so far, your browser will now suddenly change your single-line configuration into a two-line configuration, yes?"   Yes, it did it again.

312 Posts

February 8th, 2005 14:00

Den,

(It should now return to, and should reveal a single-line IE browser.) Nope. It unfolded. (But it is supposed to not unfold.)

I believe that your registry has become corrupted unfortunately due to the Freshbar hijacker. I believe that you need to concentrate on the concepts suggested in the "Resolution" of this Microsoft KB article [ click here], and research the internet for various solutions--though a correction may be as simple as this:
  1. First, try clicking the restore defaults button in the IE Tools|Internet Options|Advanced "restore defaults". If that does not work, then;
  2. try repairing Internet Explorer with the IE repair tool; finally, if that does not correct the corruption, then
  3. pursue the possibilites suggested by the Microsoft KB article, and any leads developed by investigation into your registry keys:
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser (especially this one)
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar

I wish that I could help you further, but your problem is more developed than my ability to help.

xley

Message Edited by xley on 02-08-2005 01:09 PM

44 Posts

February 8th, 2005 17:00

Thanks for trying.  Den.
No Events found!