Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2010 07:00

Trying to restore laptop but is not working

Well to start my laptop was working, then about a year ago it became very slow and blah blah blah so we done the restore to factory settings. Upon doing that my flash player wouldn't work so we took it to someone to get that fixed, I switched computers and this one belongs to me so in order to take off what my husband put on here and start fresh I went to do the restore my pc to factory settings. Only thing is I can not access that part of my computer to take it back to factory settings. I think that when we took it in he has wiped that part off...which I didn't want him doing in the first place.

But I have several cds and put in what I thought was the right one in order to reinstall everything, but i can not get my video driver to work, my flash player will not work, nor will my sound work. I finally got the wireless internet working, i got the touch pad working as well. I am running Win XP on my Inspiron E1505. I am going this weekend to get the Win 7 and so forth but do I need to fix what is wrong first or will putting Win 7 on here fix it all and such? I have searched Dells website to see which cds i am need to reinstall but have found nothing. Even tried to do the service tag and such but still got nothing!

Thanks!

• 

17K Posts

August 11th, 2010 09:00

jmcase77,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

You would need to install the drivers after installing Windows for the hardware to work in the system. You should have received another disk with your system calle drivers and utilities. There are no windows 7 drivers for this system on the Dell Website. Below is information and order to install drivers.

Driver install order for desktops and laptops

The following list is an overview of the correct order to install drivers on Dell desktops and portables. After reinstalling Microsoft® Windows®, follow the order listed when reinstalling drivers. It is recommended that you print this list for reference when installing drivers.

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

1.   Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling Windows or updating all drivers, it is important that this software be installed first. This is located under the System Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Note : NSS and DSS may not be available for all desktop and notebook products.

2.   Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

3.   Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

4.   Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

5.   Laptops Only: Dell Quickset or Dell Control Point Manager (DCP) - Controls power management, ambient light sensor, wireless profiles, and security features on laptops. This is located under the Applications on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6.   Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

7.   Modem - Allows dial-up capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

8.   Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

9.   Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Input Device Drivers Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

10.   Other Devices
  • Intel vProTM  or AMTTM  - Enhances system manageability. This is located under the Chipset Category on on the Drivers and Downloads page.
  • Bluetooth ®  Module located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
  • Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
  • PCMCIA/Smartcard controller located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
  • Touch Screen Digitizer Enables touch screen mouse control available on select Dell laptops. This is located under the Input Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

2 Posts

August 11th, 2010 15:00

Ok thank you very much, but if you know, could you tell me if I went and got the full version of Windows 7 and put it on here, will that resolve any and all issues?

6 Posts

November 29th, 2010 02:00

It is just the solution for my problem, Thanks for your instruction!

159 Posts

November 29th, 2010 05:00

I think installing a new windows 7 solves your problem. Generally i don't know whats the reason but i faced this problem many times. On all windows versions. For example when i install XP on my computer, after some months of working, the speed of my computer will be decreased and i should install it again.

No Events found!