Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

November 10th, 2003 02:00

URGENT! please help

Well, I woke up this morning and found out that my computer was reformated... I'm pretty sure it was a virus that caused this. My computer is a Dimension 2350, I tryed using the Win XP reinstallation CD. The problem I've encountered is that when it installs components it freezes with only 14 minutes left..=(.. I really need my computer, does anyone know how to get my comp to work? It would be great to get it fixed before the end of this week =P

thanks

56 Posts

November 11th, 2003 14:00

that is exactly what appeared on my computer a FAT partition of 39.0mb, with dell diagnostic files.  Another forum member encountered the same issue.  Upon brainstorming, we found that the only similar action we took to create this, was downloading Windows Updates in the last week or two.

49 Posts

November 12th, 2003 01:00

I seem to remember a tool in the Administrative Tools menu that allowed a user to get in and assign a drive letter to a drive, reformat a drive, and change the size, although it would wipe the info on an active partition if you tried it.  Can't find it right now, but i'm sure I'll bump into it again soon...

And as soon as I hit enter on that message, i found it.  Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management, Select Disk Management from the tree.  It gives you a graphical representation of your hard drives.  And there is the 39 MB FAT partition sitting there, just waiting for a drive letter...

Message Edited by jjmspartan on 11-11-2003 10:26 PM

2 Intern

• 

4.4K Posts

November 12th, 2003 21:00

On my PC. XP home SP1, when I right click on that small partition in Computer management, the only item on the menu is Help. There is no option to change drive letter, reformat it, or anything. It's called Disk 0.
No Events found!