Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2010 20:00

Unable to find Windows 7 CD Key

I bought Inspiron 580 in April 2010. However recently, it started to freeze up and having random crashes and nothing reacts to it (not even my keyboard, my mouse or anything). Decided to do a PC restore, but apparently it seems like my recovery partition was corrupted and I was not able to do so.

Called Dell to send me the OS disk (and they charged me for the shipping fee, claiming that when I bought this PC it does not include the OS disk). I was trying to look for the Windows 7 CD key on my machine but no, I just don't see any sticker! Called their solution station, and the guy said it might be embedded inside my partition if I do not see it on my machine and that the OS disk will not have any CD key.

I am having serious doubts, he does not sound convincing at all. Is it true? Does it even work this way? Could the sticker be hidden somewhere on my machine or any documentation? Please, help!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 28th, 2010 21:00

First ... they should send you the media free of charge if their media-replacement procedure doesn't work - but don't get me started on the media question :)

Second ... YOUR product key will NOT be embedded in the Recovery Partition or in Windows itself.  There will be a generic pre-activated product key embedded in Windows (that you can retrieve using Magic Jelly Bean - or similar), but that is not the product key that should come with your computer that is your license to run Windows.  Your license should be on a sticker on your computer - check all sides of the box.  Your product key is 25 alpha-numerics - 5 groups of 5, separated by dashes.

Lastly ... when you install with your Dell DVD, you won't need to enter a product key, as it will use that generic key I spoke of.  For piece of mind - and the unthinkable - check the box for the key.

46 Posts

December 29th, 2010 08:00

I have a similar issue, that is I have my Dell MS windows 7 disk for my Optiplex. The Optiplex is physcially gone, all I have now is the disks without the produce key code. I'd like to install this windows 7 OP (disk) on my note book Precision M6300. In Dell Drivers & Downloads under my service tag ,it lists under the operating system pull down tab: RED HAT, XP & VISTA (32 & 64BIT).

I've heard the key code is in the bios, but only for the operating systems that are listed in the pull down tab is this true?

Can anyone tell me will I be able to install 7 on the M6300 without the key code?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 29th, 2010 11:00

No, the "key code" is not in the BIOS.  A generic, pre-activated key is embedded on the install disk, and your sticker is your actual license to use that version of the software.  You will only have the rights to the product key for the operating system that you purchased with the computer.  So, if it was purchased with W7, you will not have rights for RHEL, XP, or any other OS that might be supported on it.  Check your order details (D&D page, Warranty Status (left menu), Original Configuration) for the OS it shipped with - if you are unsure.

If you use your Dell Windows 7 DVD to install, it should not need to be activated, but in the rare event of an audit, you would need the sticker showing you own a license to run that OS.  If it shows in your order details, then that may be sufficient for Microsoft, even with a missing sticker.

No Events found!