Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

September 16th, 2007 13:00

Uninstall/Reinstall audio/video codecs?

Hi, there.  I'm at my wit's end trying to play mgeg1 clips.  I'm on a Dell XPS410 desktop running Windows Vista Ultimate.  Whether I  use Windows Media Player 11, PowerPoint 2007, or Real Player, the mpeg1 clips play at an accelerated rate.  The video goes real fast, and the audio sounds like Alvin the Chipmunk!  Yet, I can play the very same clips fine on Apple's QuickTime, and I can play them perfectly as well on another computer which runs Windows XP, and on that computer Windows Media Player, PowerPoint, and Real Player all play the clips perfectly.  Therefore, I am thinking I have a problem with corrupted codecs.  Since Quicktime has built-in codecs, I'm not having the problem with Quicktime.  If my thinking is correct, is there a way to unregister or delete all the codecs and start from scratch by reinstalling the correct codecs?  Or any other suggestions?
Thank you so much!

12.7K Posts

September 16th, 2007 20:00

Get this and install it, most all WMP playback problems will be gone in Vista.

Remove Quicktime and any other add on codecs you may have installed in add/remove programs before installing, this package has a working quicktime codec.

2 Posts

September 16th, 2007 20:00

Thanks for your response.  I had already installed the Vista Codec Package.  Someone had recommended it to me.  But it didn't fix the problem, however.  I only installed QuickTime after the fact, because I wanted to see if it worked.  When Quicktime did play the mpeg1 files correctly, I knew the files aren't corrupt.  And since Windows Media Player plays all other files correctly, I know it's not the media player - especially since Real Player from Real Networks also can't play the mpeg1 files correctly.  But thanks for your suggestion.  Is there anyway to uninstall ALL the Codecs and then re-install the correct ones?  Or any other ideas from anyone??

12.7K Posts

September 16th, 2007 21:00

You can use add/remove programs to uninstall any pachages you installed, there was a program called codec sniper to clean up any left after add/remove, that I used on XP, not sure if it works on Vista or if there is a version that does.
No Events found!