Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 9th, 2014 12:00

Uninstalled Dell System Detect but Icon still showing in Sys Tray after boot up

Hi,

So i'm trying to clear out my hard drive of software that i don't use very often and one of these id Dell system detect.

I've uninstalled it via add/remove programs and it now doesn't appear in there but after i boot up the system detect icon is still there?

Is there anyway to get rid of this?

April 17th, 2014 11:00

Okay, what I did to get that  off my system is open up Task Manager, go to Processes. Right click on Dell System Detect, select Open File Location and delete the parent folder of all that , and it’s at least gone from there. Next,I searched registry for dellsystemdetect, and only found the listing that shows up in msconfig.  deleted that and found no other traces yet. YAY!  when uninstallers fail to do anything worth a , do it yourself.  but remember to make a restore point first at least, if not backing up as well.  You just never know.  

good luck!

1 Message

April 19th, 2014 12:00

Delete HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\DellSystemDetect

March 18th, 2014 23:00

BUMP* please answer this

March 19th, 2014 01:00

Even though I uninstalled it, there is still parts of it hidden in the documents and settings/local settings/apps. It can not be removed as the system is using it. I want it off. 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 19th, 2014 11:00

Check the Startup Folder and delete any shortcut to it that you find.

10 Posts

March 31st, 2014 13:00

I too have this problem. I can uninstall, and it "seems" to uninstall, but the tray icon is still there, and system detect is active.

It doesn't uninstall when uninstalling via programs and features. I'm using Windows 7 professional (64 bit) and a 17R N7110.

There is no program in the startup menu, regardless if the program is installed or not.

How can I remove this program? I found it useful when I installed Windows 7 Pro, but now I don't need it, and I want to remove it.

2 Posts

April 5th, 2014 10:00

Same Issue here too.

95 Posts

April 5th, 2014 10:00

run "msconfig", then click on start up and disable this. now do an un install. I had the same problem and now its off

good luck

2 Posts

April 5th, 2014 20:00

Thanks that did it. 

1 Message

April 21st, 2014 09:00

I searched for msconfig and then disabled it. Then right clicked and went to the file location and deleted all files that said system detect. I think it's ok now.

2 Posts

May 10th, 2014 04:00

Reporting this problem to Dell's developers would not only make life easier for Dell customers but also remove the risk of a high profile embarassement for the Dell brand image.

Software that does not uninstall via Windows Control Panel "Add/Remove Programs" is formally considered to be malware by all the major anti-virus manufacturers.

It would be bad for the Dell brand image if Norton, Kaspersky, etc. started flagging a Dell product as malware / spyware.

So if someone would formally report this to Dell they'd be doing Dell a favour.

Meanwhile thanks for the suggestions on how to manually disable this "spyware".  Your efforts are appreciated.

1 Message

February 22nd, 2015 17:00

It's funny that Dell had to remove the profanities from the previous post.

Dell, you can prevent profanities in posts in the first place by having your uninstallers actually uninstall the programs they claim to. That would REALLY go a long way to serving your customers. Just a thought. 

No Events found!