Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

January 31st, 2004 19:00

Uninstalling McAfee - won't uninstall all!!

I uninstalled the McAfee AntiVirus successfully, but it won't allow me to uninstall the McAfee Security Center.  I get the following message:

In order to uninstall McAfee Security Center, you need to uninstall all McAfee Security Services first. 

WELL,  there are not any more options under 'add/remove programs' that I see listed as McAfee.

The "M" McAfee icon in my bottom right system tray is called "McAfee Security Center" then underneath that "Dell Security Center".  (Nothing is installed: not the virus, firewall or privacy service. )

I called Dell and they want to charge me a fee to help me.  I've only had this pc since April and Dell gave me this software.

Please advise.   I am going to download the NOD32 trial version today.  And I don't want any clashes.  So please tell me how to find this McAfee Security Services to uninstall.

Also, is there anything else I need to uninstall before I install NOD32?

This makes for a fine Saturday afternoon. 

Thanks and I do appreciate your help, mine

Message Edited by Mine123 on 01-31-2004 05:02 PM

426 Posts

February 1st, 2004 03:00

Hi Mine 123.  Go to the McAfee Support Site for Dell here: http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/dell/

Select VirusScan Online for the Product and Install/Uninstall for the Category, and from the topic list, look at How do I uninstall VirusScan Online?

25 Posts

February 1st, 2004 13:00

This did not help, but I appreciate the trying.  It wants a service tag number which I don't know and that area give no info on how to get one.  McAfee is horrid, I don't know why anyone would want to use them.

The problem is it WON"T uninstall!  I went thru ALOT of complicated manually removing from my Registry Editor to get MCAFEE files out, but still no success.   I have downloaded the Nod antivirus with no problems.  I'm quite dissapointed in DELL and MCAFEE for making this so difficult:  no info within our DELL help or w/ MCAFEE to execute the subject. 

If my add/remove message tells me I have to uninstall MCAFEE Security Servies first before removing MCAFEE Security Center, then directions should be given to do so.

mine

417 Posts

February 1st, 2004 19:00

1 -- Your service tag is your computers serial number its on the back side... look there..

25 Posts

February 2nd, 2004 23:00

[by the way forum, sorry for the double/similar posting]

Sing Hallelujah!!  I was once lost, but now found!!

Here's the solution via another forum:

Here's the uninstall thread for Security Center:
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=65356#65356

This makes for a fine evening!!

Thanks to Rick's info below:

Here's a 'work-around' in dealing with Security Center:

Right click on the "M" and choose Exit.
Click Yes to exit Security Center.
Right-click on Start | click on Explorer
Open C:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\apps
Remove (delete) all .adf files.
Close the window.

Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
Double click McAfee Security Center.
Follow the instructions to uninstall Security Center.

To prevent Security Center from being downloaded via Instant Updater again, do the following:

Make a blank text file with the text below: (Highlight and copy the text which is between the two lines below (shown in blue): - including the brackets [] and the space between McAfee and SecurityCenter. Now right-click on clear area of your desktop; click on new; Text document (now notepad or wordpad should open. If not, open notepad manually) Then paste what you copied into your Notepad document)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\McAfee SecurityCenter]

While in Notepad, Click on file | save as | type msc.reg and save it to your desktop.
Double click on it to enter the data into the registry.
Next, reboot your computer.

You should no longer be nagged to install Security Center via Instant Updater.

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by Mine123 on 02-02-2004 08:08 PM

No Events found!