Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2012 07:00

Upgrading to Vista or Window 7 on my Vostro

Hello,  I am looking for some help and/or suggestion.  First this forum's format is new so I am not sure if I am posting this question in the correct section.  I thought I could search thru the forum but I am not sure where to do that.  I bought a Vostro 220s desktop in 2009 .  It came with a an free upgrade from XP  to Vista.  Do I have to get that done with in the warranty period?  If I can get it done free will I have any options?  IE : upgrade to Window 7 or Window 8.  Is one system better than the others?  I tried to chat on line with Dell today.  I got sent to another section but I did not get connected.  I tried again but this time I was told to call during the week.

I guess I am trying to figure out what I have to do.  Should I have a disk for the upgrade?  Is the upgrade package on my hard drive already.  Can I transfer my info from the old software sytem to the new one.  Any info and ideas would be apprecaite.  Members have been very  helpful in the past.  Have a good day.  Danny01

PS,  After posting this I will look around and see how I can search the forum.  Thanks again

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

September 9th, 2012 07:00

I will move this to the Microsoft OS forum.

Either the upgrade media came with the system or you had to request it. What does the Windows COA on your system say, it should be on the top, or side of your desktop. Windows XP or Windows Vista?

The free upgrade program for Windows 7 was time limited by Microsoft and ended in January 31st 2010 so the Vista one would have ended earlier.

You can upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 via A Clean install, there is no need to install Vista. Dell have the drivers required for Windows 7 32 bit on this model. For best results follow my wiki A Clean Install of Windows 7. In addition I recommend maxing your RAM out to 4 GB if you have not already done so using the part here.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 30th, 2013 00:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                        

No Events found!