Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 25th, 2009 10:00

Upgrading to Windows 7

I want to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 and need to know if my computer is 32-bit or 64-bit.  How can I determine if my computer is 32-bit or 64-bit?

Thanks

3.4K Posts

Hello,

Windows XP

If you have Windows XP, there are two methods to determine whether you are running a 32-bit or a 64-bit version. If one does not work, try the other.

Method 1: View System Properties in Control Panel

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. Type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
  3. Click the General tab. The operating system is displayed as follows:
    • For a 64-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version < Year> appears under System.
    • For a 32-bit version operating system: Windows XP Professional Version appears under System.
    Note is a placeholder for a year.
Method 2: View System Information window

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. Type winmsd.exe, and then click OK.
  3. When System Summary is selected in the navigation pane, locate Processor under Item in the details pane. Note the value.
    • If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with x86, the computer is running a 32-bit version of Windows.
    • If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with ia64 or AMD64, the computer is running a 64-bit version of Windows.

You can read the new Windows 7 upgrade page at my web site if you wish. It will explain in full detail how to perform upgrade installs of Win7, or a "Clean Install" that is required for you running XP.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

The model and CPU type and speed are needed before you can determine that.

No Events found!