Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

November 17th, 2008 23:00

Use my dell OEM XP Pro on a new non-Dell computer

Well, my Inspiron 8600 is on its last leg.  Figures - just after I upgraded the HDD and RAM.  Anyway, I see lots of conflicting reports as to whether or not I'm going to be able to use the XP Pro that came with my Inspiron on my new computer, which will, no doubt, have Vista installed on it.  I won't be buying another Dell - too much $$$ this time around for me, probably an HP.

2.5K Posts

November 18th, 2008 02:00

Here's the restriction: unlike retail EULA, the OEM license does not permit transfer from one computer to another, even if both computers are from the same brand.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 18th, 2008 03:00

Disregarding the fact mentioned that the OEM Install CD is only legally licensed for the PC it was delivered with.  Dell Operating System discs will ONLY install on a system with a Dell BIOS.

70 Posts

November 18th, 2008 06:00

Grrrrr.  Thanks for the replies, though!

2.5K Posts

November 18th, 2008 20:00

Disregarding the fact mentioned that the OEM Install CD is only legally licensed for the PC it was delivered with.  Dell Operating System discs will ONLY install on a system with a Dell BIOS.

never say ONLY though - I have seen this done several times... but will require to run Windows Product Activation, and successfully too

No Events found!