Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2006 22:00

Used the Win XP Prof disc and now restore utility dissappeared

Around a few months after purchasing my Dell Inspiron 6000 I used the windows XP professional reinstallation disc that I bought with it. Going through all the options and installing windows over again went well, but I have a few problems:

*On the Hard Drive (C) there is 35GB of space already taken, which is the amount of my old documents, and I can't seem to access them
*I cannot find the Dell Restore Utility anywhere to delete all saved data on the laptop, and restore factory defaults.

It would be hugely appreciated if someone could tell/show me how to get the dell utility back to restore factory defaults: being my main motivation. I'm worried that I've ruined the laptop's abilities....

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 15th, 2006 23:00

If you reformatted the HD, you may have deleted both the PC Restore and Diagnostics partitions. (BTW: PC Restore is only on systems shipped after 7-14-04.) You can read the info here to see if you can rescue the PC Restore partition and restore its function.

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

You haven't really 'ruined' your PC. You've just made it more difficult to recover from a crash.

Ron

11.9K Posts

March 16th, 2006 00:00

@Kurt D.S wrote:
Around a few months after purchasing my Dell Inspiron 6000 I used the windows XP professional reinstallation disc that I bought with it. Going through all the options and installing windows over again went well, but I have a few problems:

*On the Hard Drive (C) there is 35GB of space already taken, which is the amount of my old documents, and I can't seem to access them
*I cannot find the Dell Restore Utility anywhere to delete all saved data on the laptop, and restore factory defaults.

It would be hugely appreciated if someone could tell/show me how to get the dell utility back to restore factory defaults: being my main motivation. I'm worried that I've ruined the laptop's abilities....

You've installed a 2nd copy of XP, and there are ways to gain access to your old documents, but it appears you don't need or want to.  The link provided in the other response may allow you to restore the Dell PC Restore by Symantec functionality. 

6 Posts

March 16th, 2006 05:00

Thankyou very much for your help, I'll look into it, but I would actually like to gain access to my old documents. Is there any way I can do this too?

I'll make a reply after I look into the link you gave me. Thanks again

11.9K Posts

March 16th, 2006 10:00

@Kurt D.S wrote:

Thankyou very much for your help, I'll look into it, but I would actually like to gain access to my old documents. Is there any way I can do this too?

I'll make a reply after I look into the link you gave me. Thanks again

Guess when you started the process you didn't realize you were possibly going to delete them?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

11.9K Posts

March 19th, 2006 21:00

@Kurt D.S wrote:
Thankyou once again for the advice and help. I'm still new to using the laptops and computers on the whole, but the link you gave me to the godells website: is that software safe to use?

Yes, Dan's software is safe to use.  I assume you have since gained access to your documents and backed up what you need to, as when you get Dell PC Restore by Symantec to work all will be erased.

6 Posts

March 19th, 2006 21:00

Thankyou once again for the advice and help. I'm still new to using the laptops and computers on the whole, but the link you gave me to the godells website: is that software safe to use?

6 Posts

March 20th, 2006 15:00

Correct, i got all the documents and put the majority onto an external hard drive and the rest on a set of DVD discs (At least I know how to do that =D)

Thankyou once again for your help, and I'll reply once I get to using it. I'll reply with the full results. Sorry for the bother!
No Events found!