Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 30th, 2007 02:00

User account problems - non-admins must run software as admin

I've had my E521 for about 4 months now, with Vista home premium. Right after getting it, I set my account as the admin, and I created a standard user account for my wife and another for my kids. My account works great, no problems. But, the kids account and my wife's account started having issues about two months ago, after a Windows update. I rolled back, let the update apply again, then the problem never returned. until about two weeks ago.

Here are the symptoms for the two non-administrator accounts: Some programs simply fail to run unless you right-click on their icon and choose to run as administrator. These are all programs that used to run just fine. For example, Windows Media player won't even open unless you run as administrator. Windows side bar loads, but not of the gadgets work, they just show broken images. for example, the clock shows a glossy black circle with clock markings, but no hands. If I close the sidebar, then right-click on the icon, choose run as administrator and start it, it runs fine under these accounts.

Other programs will open a window, but won't display anything in the window. I check task manager, and no sign of a hung application, either. Other programs will briefly flash up, then close down. Yet, most programs work with no issues what so ever. And, this only happens on the kids account and my wife's account, my account, set as admin, has never had a problem. And, if I change my wife's account to an admin account, the problem does NOT go away.
Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could be the problem? I don't want to disable any features of Vista, and I really don't feel comfortable rolling back, I'm hoping to find the cause to this problem and fix it.

thanks!

Message Edited by griz_fan on 08-29-2007 10:19 PM

Message Edited by griz_fan on 08-29-2007 10:19 PM

12K Posts

August 30th, 2007 05:00

Change their permissions on the program executable file to modify.

18 Posts

August 30th, 2007 10:00

I tried, by I can't, those options were grayed out. Also, this isn't a very attractive solution to me for a couple of reasons. First, I'm not sure I want to give non-password accounts permissions to modify executables, doesn't sound too secure to me. Also, while I've identified two or three programs that have this problem, there may be more and this may be a problem for new programs, too. I really don't want to have to manually adjust permissions on EXE files just so they'll actually run. These programs ran fine for several months, but now don't. Something changed regarding Vista for these accounts, I'm hoping to find out what changed.

18 Posts

August 30th, 2007 13:00

How do I go about checking what permissions these users have?

I guess what I find strange is that all of the programs worked fine for a few months before the problem cropped up. And, many of the programs in question are Vista applications (Windows Media Player, Windows Sidebar, etc...) so I know they were written to handle Vista's user and security model. I can see 3rd party apps causing problems but Sidebar and Media Player? Why would these apps start failing?

12K Posts

August 30th, 2007 13:00

You are not giving them permissions to modify executable, just to run the program.   Some programs require this becasue they are writing data back to the drive, or are just so poorly written that elevated rights are needed.

This practice is not uncommon.

12K Posts

August 30th, 2007 15:00

Right clikc the .exe file and go to Properties and then to the Security Tab.  This will require that you run with Advanced File Sharing.  Give everyone "Modify" on the executable.

18 Posts

August 31st, 2007 01:00

All of those options for the users are grayed out, I can't change permissions on the executable for both Windows Media Player and Windows Sidebar.
No Events found!