Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2017 14:00

Using Dell Key Creator to create USB recovery drive for a Dell Inspiron 545s disables USB ports.

I'm using the Dell Key Creator I downloaded from Dell to do a Factory restore of Win 7 on my Inspiron 545s.  When I start the machine the screen freezes on the Dell logo and doesn't respond.

Also, I have a friend's Inspiron 5010 which needs to be restored and I can't find the download section where I entered the service tag to get the correct key for his machine.

Cheers in advance,

Brian

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 22nd, 2017 09:00

Did you change the boot order in the Inspiron 545s BIOS- Boot Device Configuration to boot from USB? The key should be plugged into one of the rear USB ports. I am kind of surprised that it allowed you to create the USB key for this out of warranty 2009 desktop? The site states, "A Windows-based PC or tablet that you’re repairing (must be in warranty).".

4 Posts

March 22nd, 2017 10:00

Thanks for responding, Chris.

The problem arises in that I can't get into the BIOS to change the boot sequence order.  When I use the USB Flash drive created by Dell Key Creator, it disables the USB functionality, ergo I can't use F2 or F12 to enter the BIOS menu.  Any other USB drive I insert does not do this.  I've tried loading the software on two different makes of 8GB USB drives.  The results are the same: frozen Dell logo.  

As to how I acquired this USB Flash Drive, I downloaded Dell Key Creator software from the Dell site which was specific to the Service Tag of my Inspiron, and I can't find the page where I downloaded the software.  I have a friend's Inspiron N5010 which needs to be restored.

I've downloaded a BIOS update for this machine.  Perhaps that might solve the issue.

Cheers,

Brian

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 23rd, 2017 07:00

"When I use the USB Flash drive created by Dell Key Creator, it disables the USB functionality"

That doesn't sound correct to me. A USB drive should not disable the system USB ports.

Disconnect the USB drive, then boot up into the BIOS and change the boot order, then retest.

4 Posts

March 23rd, 2017 13:00

Thanks for responding, Chris.

I can use other bootable USB drives to run the machine.  I have a live distro of Porteus Linux on USB that works perfectly, as well as an MS-Dos boot disk.  

When I use Dell Key Creator to create a USB Flash drive to restore the system, the result is the same: it causes the system to freeze.  I can't get into the BIOS because the keyboard, which is USB, is disabled. As I said above, other bootable Flash drives don't cause this problem. I can press F2 or F12 'til the cows come home and still nada.  You don't hear any clicks or beeps or klaxons or anything, just the silence of a mystery:  why does this USB drive, which was created specifically for my I545s, cause this behaviour?  I have a friend's machine, an I5010 laptop, and the procedure worked for his machine.

I tried to update the BIOS today.  I mistakenly chose F2 to set the boot order and the machine booted of the hard disk instead of the USB.  I received this message.

Alert!  Previous attempts at bootin this system have failed at checkpoint [1C].  Contact Dell Technical Support.

I don't know what this means so I guess I contact Dell Tech Support.

After I restarted the machine, I was able to boot off the USB and run the BIOS update.  It ran and then stopped and I received and error, "insufficient memory".  The machine has 3GB of Ram.

Hopefully, the Dell Tech Support can sort this out.

Cheers,

Brian

4 Posts

May 1st, 2017 05:00

Hello folks,

I've been able to sort out my machine, and I must thank Philip Yip for the solution.  I used a DellWin7 iso which I downloaded from Philip's "http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com" to get the machine running, and then I upgraded to Win 10.  The I545s runs a wee bit slow now, but it works.

Thank you Philip Yip!!!

Cheers,

Brian

No Events found!