Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 27th, 2013 14:00

Using system restore on a Dell XPS 13

I have a Dell XPS 13 bought this year. I am interested in installing Ubuntu (either the Sputnik image or 12.04 vanilla). I am trying to work out how I could restore to the original Windows 8 image. I have created a restore USB disk but I can't find useful information on how to use the restore disk. How can I boot to the disk so that it can restore my system?

I would also like to keep my recovery partitions and restore from the partitions. Is this possible? I have tried to access the recovery programs from boot up but cannot find any restore options.

System recovery without using Windows on the Dell XPS 13 seems to be an undocumented feature - can anyone help me?

(Otherwise I have am very happy with the machine.)

3 Posts

July 16th, 2013 18:00

not sure, but i think this video may shed some light on what's going on?

apparently, you need to disable secure boot before attempting to boot off the restore disk...

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 27th, 2013 14:00

If you've created a bootable flash drive, or set of DVDs, boot the system with the drive connected.  You'll see you can boot the system from it (F12 at powerup) and once you do that you can do the restore.

Once you have a recovery drive or set of discs ready, you can restore the system to its as-shipped state even if you've altered the partition structure.

4 Posts

March 27th, 2013 15:00

I have hit F12 at boot up and I get to a boot menu where my options are the following (or very similar):

UEFI Boot

Network Boot

Other

Setup

Diagnostics

The setup option takes me to the BIOS menu where I cannot find system restore. The Diagnostic option takes me to a system test program. I have not found a Restore option.

4 Posts

March 27th, 2013 15:00

I have just tried the boot menu with my restore disk inserted and no difference. Perhaps my restore disk is not working correctly. Are there any known issues with restore disks? Can I test my restore disk somehow?

4 Posts

July 18th, 2013 09:00

Thanks. This video answers my questions. I should have secure boot disabled and legacy mode turned on.

Thanks again.

No Events found!