Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2007 22:00

Vista & XP Dual Boot

Hi, I just got a E520 with Vista installed. Everything is fine untill I tried some of my not so really old games. I would like to keeps Vista in the system so I was wondering if anyone tried a dual boot system with Vista and XP. I am thinking about adding another hard drive in the system, so I can keep Vista intalled on one and install XP on the other one. Any comments or suggestion would be really appreciated. Thanks.

67 Posts

June 4th, 2007 01:00

I just did a dual boot XP/Vista by using a disk partition maker to create a new drive. Original drive was C and then created a D drive. Then did a clean install to D. Works perfect. If you want to buy a new drive make sure it is not external as you can not install Vista on the external. good luck.

12.7K Posts

June 4th, 2007 01:00

The second hard drive is a good method, just be sure the Vista drive is unplugged during the XP install, would not want to format the Vista drive by accident. Use a different sata port to connect the XP drive, do not use the one you unplugged from the Vista drive.

after XP install is done, connect the Vista drive, and boot into Vista and use this utility to get the dual boot going.  http://www.vistabootpro.org/

2.7K Posts

June 4th, 2007 02:00

Hi shen318 & jcoane
When you dual boot XP & Vista XP will delete your restore points in Vista  XP thinks they are invalid
and puff they are gone , but Vista does not remove XP restore points i though i would let you know that if you did not know it.
Check it out and see for yourself there is a work around if you can find it i never tried to find it because i do not dual boot any more.
See Yea.

23 Posts

June 4th, 2007 12:00

What if I disable Vista hard drive in the Bios then install XP on the 2nd hard drive? Will XP boot from 2nd hard drive? Then if I want to run Vista I can enable the drive in Bios.

2.7K Posts

June 4th, 2007 13:00

Hi
That is the way i did it when i was booting that way have Vista on the first drive turn it off in the bios to get to XP on second drive,and XP will boot from the second drive.
Good Luck !

23 Posts

June 4th, 2007 13:00

I have been researching this topic online and found this interesting article... http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

10 Posts

June 4th, 2007 19:00

Ok I must have done something wrong. I have Vista 32 bit.on my C drive, and booted my original system restore disk to the d drive, however after the XP install, my computer would only boot to XP and not vista. Any ideas what I did wrong??

Also since upgrading to vista on my dimension 8400 I now have no sound at all. anyone else have this issue or am i just the chosen one??

TIA.

Message Edited by Da Guch on 06-04-2007 03:56 PM

23 Posts

June 4th, 2007 23:00

Ok, from what I've read so far when you install XP after Vista it will rewrite the Boot Loader to run XP only. You need to reconfig the Vista boot loader and it's not easy as edit boot.ini like in XP. There are some free software I found to help you with that. Check the link I listed above they have really good instruction on setting up a dual boot system. I am going to give it a try this weekend.

12.7K Posts

June 4th, 2007 23:00

If you will read the second post in this thread, I posted a link to the boot editor you need to use, as I advised.

10 Posts

June 5th, 2007 03:00

i downloaded that to the vista drive,but didnt understand what the heck that is. Too complicated. Can you break it down for me 1 time.(sounds like a dance move). couple of queestions. 1. How and when do I reinstall the XP drive. 2. Do i do it through the software you mentioned? 3. Can I use my recovery CD to intall XP or do I need a seperate version? TIA

16 Posts

June 7th, 2007 23:00

Hello shen318,

Yes this is possible. But needs to be done a specific way. Check out my previous posts on Dual boot. I'm cutting back on lengthy posts since recently they seem to disappear,which is a waste of time on my part. Obviously the powers that be have other ideas. PM me.

43 Posts

August 20th, 2007 07:00

Do you have a Vista dvd available? you should be able to boot the vista dvd, and one of the repair options is to fix booting problems which should fix this THEN use 3rd party software to fine tune the boot options/settings

6 Posts

August 25th, 2007 04:00

I manage to install a Dual Boot Vista-XP perfectly well on that HP Laptop who came only with Vista Home Edition. In that case I just erased everything and make a clean instal for Vista first, I even delete the restore partition. I used The VistaBootPro on that  laptop which had only two partitions originally: The small restore and the normal Vista side, and I inserted a third partition with XP.
My problem know is that I bought the Dell Inspiron 1521 and find out that came with 4 partitions, not 2!  The restore and the Vista OS partitions are quite normal but I can see now other two (factory installed) quite small: one with only 63MB and other with 2.5 GB. On the first you can only read "healthy (EISA configuration)" and on the other with 2.5 GB you can read "healthy (primary partition).
I tried to do the same I did with the two particioned HP laptop, shrinking first the Vista OS to obtain a new unallocated space which allows me to install the Xp, and I did it! but the problem comes after, because when I tried to obtain the "new simple volume" I received and error telling me that there was no available space! which was not true!. So what can I do know? Anyone has this situation?, and somebody can help me please?, What should I do?
NOTE: I really wish not to disturb the original Vista installation, would that be posible?
No Events found!