Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 9th, 2009 23:00

Vista won't install

I just got a new hard drive. I have been trying to install Vista from the disc provided when I first bought my Inspiron 1720. It gets passed the first restart, but then just sits and does not complete the install. After about an hour or two, the screen goes black and leaves the mouse curser on the screen. I have run the tests and memory passed. Help please!

• 

17K Posts

February 10th, 2009 05:00

bbhtown,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

You will need to install the Sata Driver. On one of the setup screens is an option to install drivers on the lower right side of the screen. Choose this option and put the Dell Driver disk in. The driver it is looking to install is the Intel Matrix Storage Driver. If you need to download this driver and put it on a disk you can click the title below.

Another way to complete the install without first installing the driver is to change the bios setting to ATA. To do this restart the system and press F2 to enter setup. Once there you can TAB down to Onboard Devices and hit Enter. Then tab down to SATA Operation. You will then see at the top of the screen on the right side ATA and AHCI. Change this to ATA. Save the changes and exit out. Once the system restarts you should be able to complete the install. After the install and you have loaded the drivers you will need to go back into the bios and change the setting back to AHCI.

Intel Matrix Storage Manager<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

3 Posts

March 5th, 2009 06:00

Sir I need some help.  I have an Inspiron 1720.  After repeated blue screens I decided to re-image.  The first time I tried to install windows it took like 5 hours and finally got stuck on a black screen with a mouse pointer and stayed that way.  Tried it again and same deal.  Now if I try, the installation only lasts about 2 mins and I get to "Extracting Files" and I get an error code..."0x80070017 Windows cannot install required files.  The file may be corrupt or missing.  Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. "  (I'm using the recovery disk that came with the laptop)  I called the techs at Dell and they made me run diagnostics for HOURS but everything was checking fine.  He then recommended I just get a new hard drive because it sounded like mine was done.  Well, I slapped a new hard drive in and I'm still getting the same error message.  I read the above post and have tried several times to download the SATA drivers and install them during Vista installation, but my computer does not recognize the file from my flash drive ( I even burned it to a disk and inserted the disk and it still didn't recognize the downloaded file from the Dell website) I've put the Drivers and Utility disk in and looked for the Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers but I don't find them.  I've gone into the BIOS and switched SATA from AHCI to ATA and I still get the error.  Please help, my wife has a class starting next week and I need to get this problem resolved A.S.A.P.

No Events found!