Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 26th, 2011 07:00

Vostro 220 purchased downgraded to Windows XP - now want to intall Windows 7

We paid a premium to have our Vostro 220 downgraded to Windows XP at the time of purchase (February last year). Now that we are sure all of our dairy business software runs on Windows 7 we would like to install Windows 7 on this Vostro 220. Is this something we can do ourselves? Is it time consuming and better for a professional to do? Is it true that Vista would have to be installed first, and then followed by Windows 7?

We did get a Windows 7 OS on DVD with the system - it is just not installed.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 26th, 2011 09:00

You have two choices:

1.) upgrade XP to Vista. Then upgrade Vista to 7

You should not have to re-install your software programs. However, since you don't have a Dell Vista DVD, you will need to locate one.

2.) backup your data and do a fresh install of Windows 7 with the DVD and then reinstall the drivers then reinstall your software programs, then put back your data files

I prefer the latter, but it is more time consuming.

• 

16.7K Posts

October 26th, 2011 09:00

Joybell,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

You will first need to download the Windows 7 drivers for the hardware in your Vostro 220 from the link below. When downloading the Windows 7 drivers you can save them to your desktop in a folder and then burn them to a cd/dvd or to a usb key. Below are also some helpful links that will help you to successfully install Windows 7.

Vostro 220 Win 7 Drivers

For installation instructions to install Windows 7 click the link below.

Windows 7 Installation

Driver Download Help

How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

110 Posts

October 26th, 2011 16:00

I will download the drivers and burn to a DVD, then do option 2 fresh install since I have the flex dock external drive that has everything backed up already. Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 27th, 2011 13:00

If you need more help refer to my general guide below it takes you through step by step. :)

No Events found!